Principal Engineering Geologist
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
As part of the engineering geology team, you will assist in the management and delivery of geotechnical projects whilst also supporting the broader engineering geology resource team. You'll be involved in project management duties such as undertaking quality and financial management (including budgeting and cost control) and liaise with both internal and external clients as well as assist with guiding and mentoring Graduate Engineers within the team.
Working within a dynamic team there are opportunities to be involved in technical specialist areas such as seismic design, geomorphological mapping and GIS. In addition to this, due to the international nature of our work there may be opportunities for you to work on overseas projects which are sometimes undertaken in remote areas requiring self-sufficiency and personal robustness.
Key responsibilities will involve the following:
- Preparing desk studies and technical reports
- Planning, procuring, supervising and reporting on ground investigations to the requirements of EC7 (Eurocode-7)
- Provide engineering geological input and parameter derivation, in both soils and rock for a range of geotechnical design areas including foundations and substructures, slope stability assessment, earthworks, tunnels etc.
- Provide input to soil and rock mechanics analyses as well as classifying rock masses using rock mass rating systems
- Lead and review work undertaken by early career professionals and other members of the team.
As an Engineering Geology professional within the UK ground engineering market, you are able to demonstrate your geotechnical and ground engineering expertise including previous experience in ground investigation procurement, supervision and interpretation as well as geotechnical design. You are familiar with Eurocode-7 (EC7) and understand the UK ground engineering sectors contract conditions and specifications. Throughout your Consultancy background, you have gained strong interpersonal skills and are comfortable liaising with Clients, collaborating and communicating effectively with all levels of staff and stakeholders. Additionally, you are used to working within a team environment and delivering various medium-large projects (ideally multidisciplinary) within ground engineering.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree educated in a Ground Engineering related subject (preferably with an MSc or similar)
- Chartered with a UK professional organisation (or similar)
- Project management experience including financial management and quality control
- Experience in managing other staff
- Input in a portfolio of projects that demonstrate a range of experience
- An understanding of managing geotechnical risk throughout the project lifetime
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.