Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Mott MacDonald is one of the largest employee-owned companies in the world. We are a multisector consultancy providing environment, engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace.
Due to an increasing workload our Arboriculture team is seeking an Assistant Arboriculturist to support the delivery of arboriculture services across a range of infrastructure projects. The scale of our projects ranges from small and bespoke design commissions through to some of the most significant infrastructure projects within the UK and worldwide.
Mott MacDonald has a culture of genuine collaboration and innovation. We want you to develop your career and succeed in this role. We will proactively support your personal development and work with you to find the projects and roles that suit your strengths and that allow you to excel.
We are looking to recruit candidates from a broad range of backgrounds/career paths with support and training available to further develop your skills as necessary. Key focuses of our current workload which you will have the opportunity to get involved in are:
- BS5837:2012 surveys for large and small-scale infrastructure projects.
- Delivery of technical notes, arboricultural method statements and scoping assessments.
- Health and safety surveys and reports.
- Tree climbing for bats and assisting ecology with various protected species surveys.
- TPO, CA, ASNW and Veteran Tree assessments.
- Site supervision of contractors.
- Design and implementation of bespoke tree protection measures.
- Collaboration with the wider environment team disciplines- landscape, ecology, environmental management, heritage and more.
- Collaboration with designers, project managers and engineers to deliver infrastructure projects whilst ensuring tree protection and retention is core to the design process.
You will be part of a multi-disciplinary environment team supporting the coordination and delivery of arboricultural services for infrastructure projects. Part of this role requires report writing to a professional level and help to develop these skills will be available if you are not currently proficient in report writing, or it is not an activity you undertake regularly.
Some of our current major projects and clients include:
- HS2 - Leading the arboriculture and tree protection on the UK's largest infrastructure project.
- Ash Dieback- novel application of AI to identify and assess ash dieback disease nationwide with driven camera surveys and machine learning.
- National Highways - BS5837:2012 surveys to support nationally significant road projects including A428 Blackcat to Gibbet, A303 Stonehenge and Lower Thames Crossing.
- Environment Agency - a variety of projects from habitat creation to flood alleviation including Hebden Bridge Flood Alleviation Scheme and Five Rivers.
- Numerous water companies - including support for Thames Water, Southern Water, Scottish Water, Welsh Water and United Utilities in protecting the environment.
- Network Rail - Longstanding and trusted relationship nationally.
- Numerous Local Authorities - providing a broad range of environmental services.
Our staff are contributing to schemes that make a real difference to people's lives and we are looking for a talented arboriculturist who can help us provide yet greater benefits to more people. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for arboriculture, the environment and for change. We are looking for an ambitious, self-motivated and driven arboriculturist with the following:
- Degree qualified in arboriculture or a related environmental discipline (ecology, environmental management or similar), or a Level 3 to 4 qualification as described in the Arboricultural Association Qualification Credit Framework
- Capability in tree and fungi identification.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to quality.
- Willingness to develop excellent report writing skills with the support of the wider team.
- Willingness to travel.
- Associate membership of the Arboricultural Association or Institute of Chartered Foresters or a willingness and desire to work towards professional membership.
- Familiarity with BS5837:2012 and BS3998:2010.
- CS 38 - Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue.
- QTRA certified.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
About the business unit
Environmental and social considerations are central to Mott McDonald's Purpose and its offerings across all sectors and territories. Our environment and social business provides essential services and innovative solutions which anticipate our client's needs across all sectors.