Senior Highway Engineer
Location: West Midlands
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As a Senior Highway Engineer you will work within our highways and rapid transit team on a range of projects which currently include:
- High Speed Rail
- Light Rail schemes across the West Midlands, East Midlands & Wales
- Innovative rapid transit concepts
- Bus Rapid Transit Projects (guided and unguided)
- Midlands Connect Framework (regional multi-modal transportation projects)
- Transport Hubs
- Highway projects with national contractors
- Local Authority work
- Town Centre improvements
A bit about the team
In Birmingham our Team is currently growing a highly skilled and customer-focused team to respond to an increasing number of secured highway, light rail and rapid transit schemes and potential future opportunities in local, national and international markets.
The team operates from grade A office space in the centre of the City, in a vibrant and caring, people-orientated culture, which encourages development and rewards good work.
Required for the position of Senior Highway Engineer;
- Bachelor's degree (Hons) in Civil Engineering, or equivalent;
- Achieved professional membership in the highways sector e.g. Institution of Civil Engineers, CIHT etc. (or at least have your attributes signed off with a clear plan development plan to gain chartership).
- Be committed towards supporting others gain professional qualifications from an appropriate professional body for the Highways sector (e.g. Institution of Civil Engineers).
- Proven experience working within an engineering profession.
- Will be experienced in leading small design teams.
- Proven experience in project management of major projects.
- Confident in their technical ability and in client facing roles.
- Must be able to demonstrate a track record in people skills and commercial awareness, with some business development.
- Be willing to get involved in and to lead Business Development activities including attending and presenting at institutional events, networking event, conferences etc, to contribute to though leadership pieces and to promote our activities on social media.
- Experience of working with AutoDesk AutoCad; AutoDesk Civil 3D; AutoDesk Infraworks; AutoTrack; Bentley Open Roads and PDS Traffic Management tools, would be advantageous.
- Competent in key highway disciplines to be able to independently check the work of others.
- Experience in highway design.
- Experience with identifying, managing and resolving multi-disciplinary interfaces
- Experience with the requirements of typical engineering forms of contract (e.g. NEC3)
- Will have been involved in projects from assessing feasibility, concept design and detailed design.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- A team player with the ability to liaise confidently with external clients and colleagues at all levels.
- Experience of UK highway design codes and standards (Design Manual for Roads & Bridges, Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works etc).
- Experience applying CDM requirements in the role of designer.
- Available to travel for short assignments when required to other UK and possibly overseas offices.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.