Associate Geotechnical Engineer
Location: City of Bristol
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Mott MacDonald's Ground Engineering Divisional Team in Wales, Midlands and South West of England is enjoying an exciting period of growth thanks to excellent technical performance, framework wins, and close client relationships in the private and public sectors.
This is fantastic opportunity for an experienced Associate Geotechnical Engineer / Engineering Geologist to join and assist in the continued growth and development of our team.
The focus of this important, challenging, and varied role is to provide technical and personal leadership for geotechnical design supporting the Built Environment, Transport, Defence, Water, and other regional and national sectors.
As an Associate Geotechnical Engineer or Engineering Geologist you will:
- Report to the Divisional Resource Lead for Geotechnics and Contaminated Land regarding resource management and you will line manage a number of colleagues in your local office
- Demonstrate technical excellence in geotechnical engineering or engineering geology
- Model an exemplary, proactive and collaborative approach working in multidisciplinary teams to produce coordinated, sustainable, and efficient designs and reduce risks
- Check and review geotechnical designs and reports
- Work with junior staff to develop their skills
- Develop relationships with clients, contractors, and stakeholders to build our reputation for delivering high quality designs and solutions that meet our clients' needs
- Exercise technical, procedural, and behavioural leaderships
- Undertake business development activities.
Required for the position of Associate Geotechnical Engineer / Engineering Geologist:
- Chartered with the Geological Society or Institution of Civil Engineers with established experience across all facets of the sector
- BSc(Hons) in Geology or Civil Engineering
- MSc or higher in Geotechnical Engineering or Engineering Geology
- You are an all-rounder, equally at home with ground interpretation and modelling as you are with design of geotechnical structures using industry standard software such as Plaxis, Slope W and Repute
- You have digital capability - familiar with design and modelling tools e.g. ACAD, Navisworks
- You are an excellent communicator and have a demonstrable track record of managing geotechnical design staff and engaging with multi-disciplinary team leads
- You are commercially aware and can deliver design work to both budget and programme constraints.
- You are a leader with excellent line management skills.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.