Assistant Civil Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Assistant Civil Engineer
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As an Assistant Civil Engineer in our successful Foundations and Geotechnics team, you will have the opportunity to broaden your experience and work with a range of public and private sector clients. You will be involved in producing design solutions in line with current Eurocodes and various international standards, produce reports, specifications and drawings covering a range of project requirements within foundations and underground structures. You'll also support larger projects acting as client liaison and contributing to risk assessments and employing sustainability and social outcomes as core principles.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Design foundations and substructures associated with large underground spaces such as deep basements and shafts, metro boxes, earthworks and slope stability with emphasis on seismic design.
- Design retaining wall systems and major temporary works associated with underground structures
- Participate in 2D and 3D numerical modelling for soil/structure interaction issues associated with below-ground structures
- Travel to project sites when necessary for project delivery and client liaison meetings
- Managing a minimum of 1 engineer as part of a wider design team
We are looking for flexible and motivated engineers with a genuine passion and a desire to make a difference in the ground engineering world, with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
Mott MacDonald heavy civils and geotechnical engineering capability for below-ground structures is recognised as world leading. Our Foundations and Geotechnics team specialise in all aspects of foundations, geotechnics, and structural design to support underground spaces, which enables us to contribute to some of the largest and most rewarding projects in the world. Recent examples include High Speed rail in the UK, Thames Tideway, Doha Metro and Northern Line Extension, amongst numerous others.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.