Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
You will have a keen interest in developing your technical expertise in hydraulic analysis and design and you will be motivated to work on a diverse range of complex projects. You will be able to understand water projects holistically and work in collaboration with other teams (mechanical, process, structural, environmental) for the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary projects. The ideal candidate would be a graduate or early career professional progressing towards charter-ship or newly chartered, and keen to progress their career and evolve within Mott MacDonald.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Supporting hydraulic analysis on a range of projects, such as transmission pipelines, surge analysis, hydraulic design of water and wastewater treatment works, stormwater storage tunnels, etc
- Producing engineering calculations, specifications, drawings and reports
- Proactive management of design risk to deliver constructable design solutions
- Supporting continuous improvement of procedures and processes to drive efficiency and innovation, contributing to the application of our digital engineering initiatives
- Engaging regularly with the Client and stakeholders to ensure the efficient delivery of projects, providing regular updates on progress and status of work within own area of responsibility, as well as identifying and communicating issues that could risk programme, quality or cost
- Working collaboratively across disciplines to ensure the efficient delivery of projects
- Engage with best practice and be responsible for own professional development
We are seeking a motivated Hydraulic Engineer with the following attributes:
- Civil Engineering degree qualified or equivalent
- Experience of applying hydraulics theory and best practice into practical applications in the water industry
- Understanding and some technical experience of pressurised and open-channel hydraulics applied to the field of civil engineering
- Understanding and some technical experience in hydraulics and surge analysis and design for water and wastewater treatment, transmission pipelines, and large scale drainage systems through one or more stages of a project life cycle
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary water pipeline and networks projects with other technical disciplines including environmental specialists, geotechnical, structural, electrical and mechanical engineers
- Strong collaboration and communication skills to be able to enter into technical discussions in a logical and coherent fashion in both oral presentations and written reports, to colleagues, non-technical staff and clients
- A drive to be abreast of professional development and knowledge of current and emerging technical solutions
- Understanding and some experience in the use of surge analysis tools such as WANDA or Bentley Hammer
- Understanding and some experience in development of hydraulic calculations and hydraulic profiles for water and wastewater treatment works
- Understanding and some experience in transmission pipeline design, e.g. route and material selection, hydraulic design, steel pipe wall thickness calculations, thrust restraint solutions, etc
- Understanding and some experience in CFD applied to the water industry
- Understanding and some experience in clean water network modelling using software such as EPANET, WaterGEMS or Infoworks
- Project Management experience is not essential but previous experience or a desire to develop these skills would be beneficial
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
We have an exciting opportunity for a developing civil engineer to join our team of hydraulics specialists. You will provide support to the design and analysis for a range of projects and topics, such as transmission pipelines, surge analysis, hydraulic design of water and wastewater treatment works, stormwater storage tunnels, etc. Get in touch if you want to know more and are keen to be involved in the development of innovative solutions to solve these very real challenges.
Do you want to be part of an employee-owned company where our unique independence affords us the opportunity to focus on projects that matter to us - those focusing on delivering social outcomes and enhancing the environment, that harness digital innovation and that challenge our technical excellence? Working for a company like ours, with technical excellence at our core, offers you access to industry recognised experts in a variety of disciplines, to provide support and career development opportunities. At Mott MacDonald, we are a collaborative team, excited to solve complex challenges that have a positive impact on the world, and we are always looking for like-minded people to join us. For more information about our Water sector click here
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes