Civil Engineer - Water Pipelines and Networks
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Civil Engineer - Water Pipelines and Networks
We have an exciting opportunity for a developing Civil Engineer, with experience in water pipeline and network design, to join our national team. You will be part of a talented multi-disciplinary team of technical specialists delivering a diverse range of medium-to-large-scale flooding and Unsatisfactory Intermittent Discharge (UID) projects, covering all phases of the project lifecycle. The ideal candidate would be a graduate or early career professional progressing towards chartership or newly chartered, and keen to progress their career and evolve within Mott MacDonald.
You will have experience in civil design and integration with other disciplines including hydraulic modellers, mechanical and electrical engineers. You will be familiar with the management of internal quality assurance systems and collaborative problem solving and will have contributed to the identification and development of affordable and low carbon solutions, all whilst adapting to project risks.
Candidates will have contributed to and have experience in preparation of design deliverables to achieve the correct time / cost / quality balance for the project and will be able to engage with clients, suppliers and sub-contractors to establish scope and solutions, whilst complying with relevant standards.
There will be opportunities for you to have input into the programme and financial management of medium to large sized projects as well as getting involved in winning new work through business development activities such as providing support on proposals and tenders.
We are seeking a civil engineer early career professional, progressing towards chartership or newly chartered, who can demonstrate the following attributes:
- Civil Engineering degree qualified or equivalent
- Experience of designing interventions to resolve sewer flooding and unsatisfactory intermittent discharges at combined sewer overflows (CSOs)
- A knowledge of sewer networks and combined sewer overflows (CSOs) (including a strong understanding of the hydraulics of wastewater networks)
- A knowledge of Surface Water Management and Blue -Green interventions
- A general knowledge of geotechnical engineering and structural design
- An understanding of the designer's responsibilities under the CDM regulations
- Strong collaboration and communication skills to be able to enter into technical discussions in a logical and coherent fashion in both oral presentations and written reports, to colleagues, non-technical staff and clients
- A drive to be abreast of professional development and knowledge of current and emerging technical solutions
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary teams
- Project Management experience is not essential but previous experience or a desire to develop these skills would be beneficial
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
We are looking for a talented civil engineer (design engineer) to play a pivotal role within our wastewater flooding team. This team is responsible for delivering sewer flooding and Unsatisfactory Intermittent Discharge (UID) projects, from feasibility to outline design. The availability of water, and the provision of adequate sewage disposal are vital to meet the ever-growing societal demands of development, population growth and climate change. Get in touch if you want to know more and are keen to be involved in the development of innovative solutions to solve these very real challenges.
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.