Assistant GIS Consultant
Job Type: Full time
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Due to strong growth, Mott MacDonald's Environment and Social GIS team has an opportunity for an enthusiastic, resourceful, collaborative and innovative Assistant GIS Consultant. You will be joining a diverse team of GIS consultants who are passionate about what they do, with a proven track record guiding our clients in the delivery of major infrastructure projects in the UK.
This role will suit a dynamic, proactive individual who wants to work in a growth area of our business and help support the delivery of GIS services in a fast moving, client-focused commercial environment.
- Support the wider GIS team in completing activities to deadlines across a number of projects;
- Assist colleagues with geospatial data digitising, data management, analysis and mapping for report final figure production;
- Evaluate user needs and provide recommendations for the most appropriate tool or suite of tools. This may include GIS specific tools, databases, or data management and handling tools including python scripting, FME workbenches or MS Power Automate flows to support project needs;
- Identify and support opportunities for improving workflows for achieving efficiencies and innovative solutions;
- Identify existing and new data sources to best inform project teams;
- Implement solutions for project data management and mapping;
- Manage mobile data collection packages for field workers;
- Check and process incoming data and provide high-quality deliverables for colleagues and clients to use;
- Work closely with GIS team members in ongoing development and implementation of standards and tools for day-to-day GIS processes and data management;
- Participate in knowledge sharing and professional excellence activities in our Global GIS community of over 700 GIS specialists and users.
We welcome applications from candidates with the following qualifications and experience:
- Postgraduate qualification in GIS, computer science, environmental management, geography or other relevant discipline;
- Has relevant working experience in the geospatial, environmental, or engineering industry;
- A strong interest in keeping up with latest technologies and how to apply these to real business problems to provide innovative solutions;
- A knowledge of spatial analysis workflows and work with spatial data;
- Interested in working towards a professional body qualification through CPD;
- Experience working with a wide range of the ESRI's ArcGIS Suite of products, including ArcGIS Online/Portal for ArcGIS;
- An aptitude for problem solving using scripting (e.g. Python, ESRI Arcade or R) and/or FME;
- Ability to follow guidelines with a strong attention to detail.
- Some experience of database administration of databases (MS SQL Server, or PostgreSQL);
- Some exposure to use of scripting and automation the Office 365 suite (MS Power Automate, Excel VBA, Power Query, Access VBA; Power BI and SharePoint);
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
Our Environmental and Social GIS team believes in the power of well-managed data, automation and visualisation through the most appropriate technology. The efficient handling, insightful analysis and visualisation of this data underpin everything that Mott MacDonald strives to achieve.
Mott MacDonald's purpose has a significant focus on innovative digital solutions to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do: transforming our client's businesses, our communities and employee opportunities. As a member of the global GIS community, you will have the opportunity to contribute towards this purpose.
By joining our team, you can expect to work on a diverse range of projects including national scale infrastructure programmes, biodiversity assessments, integrated water resource management plans and ecosystem services analysis.