Senior Bridge Engineer
Location: City of Bristol
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Our Buildings & Cities unit are seeking a Chartered Bridge Engineer to join our team in Bristol and take a leading role in the delivery of bridges and civil structures projects. These cover the full spectrum of bridge engineering from the sustainable design of new structures to the use of emerging technologies together with advanced structural analysis to solve some of the most challenging asset management problems. The scale of our projects ranges from small and bespoke design commissions through to some of the most significant infrastructure projects within the UK and worldwide.
Some of our team's current major projects & clients include:
- Transport for Wales (TfW)
- Network Rail
- Bristol City Council and other Local Authorities
As a Chartered Bridge Engineer you will be responsible for the management and delivery of projects and work packages, ensuring that client requirements and quality standards are met, within programme and budget. This will include technical leadership of projects and the further development of technical knowledge and capability within the bridges and civil structures team. The role carries a high degree of autonomy and responsibility, requiring supervision of part of the team and rigorous checking to ensure quality and compliance with corporate governance processes.
We want you to develop your career in this role and we will proactively support your personal development. The role will present many opportunities to develop client relationships, drive continuous improvement in the way we deliver, contribute to bid proposals and develop business strategy.
Our staff are contributing to schemes that make a real difference to people's lives and we are looking for a talented engineer who can help us provide yet greater benefits to more people.
We are looking for an ambitious, self-motivated and committed engineer with the following:
- Degree qualified in civil engineering (BEng/MEng, Msc or equivalent).
- Chartered (or Incorporated) Engineer (ICE or IStructE).
- Experience in, and a commitment to, effective management of Health, Safety and Welfare, Safety by Design.
- Demonstrable experience in bridge analysis, design, and assessment including an ability to undertake and oversee the analysis of structures using standard industry software, such as LUSAS, Autodesk Structural Bridge Design, and MIDAS.
- Preparation and review of technical approval documentation for highway and rail structures.
- Ability to deliver high quality design documentation including option appraisals, drawings, calculations, reports, specifications, and construction documentation.
- Commercial and financial awareness, and the ability to plan and monitor project programmes, budgets and resources to ensure delivery to time and cost constraints.
- Experience of working with clients, such as TfW, Network Rail, and Local Authorities.
- General IT software skills, such as, Microsoft Office, Sharepoint, Projectwise, Bentley and Autodesk software.
- Experience of digital delivery tools and workflows, for example BIM, parametric design and automation.
- Ability to communicate confidently and professionally with all levels of staff and clients (written and verbal).
Preferred, but not required:
- An excellent understanding of relevant standards (e.g. Eurocodes and the DMRB); knowledge of HS2 standards would be advantageous.
- Experience of managing project teams and technical leadership would be advantageous.
- Experience in the preparation of fee proposals and tender submissions would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of the sustainable design of bridges and civil structures would be advantageous.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
About the business unit
The Buildings and Cities Unit (BNC) has a major presence in Mott MacDonald's regional offices throughout the UK and mainland Europe, providing a wide range of diverse and transferable cross-sector skills across five key Sectors; Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation and Water. We also provide local services to customers and technical support to the rest of the Group in these sectors.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our workforce!