Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Job Type: Full time
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Developing design solutions, and associated deliverables, drawing on a range of geotechnical skills, including: foundation, slope, earthwork, and retaining wall design; notably working alongside structural engineers to design structures involving complex soil-structure interaction
- Geotechnics in the context of dam and reservoir engineering
- Geotechnical risk management through desk studies, site investigation, geotechnical data management, and ground modelling
- Supervising the work of more junior staff and providing technical and professional guidance to aid their development
- Delivery of packages of design work, requiring collaboration with external and internal stakeholders, quality control, management of inputs from other team members, and travel to project sites when necessary
- Advancing the team's capability by advancing technical excellence and digital innovation
- You may also be involved in project commercial management, and proposal delivery
- You will be able to express the contribution of your work in the context of social outcomes
For your longer-term career development, we can offer a number of paths, including technical leadership, staff resource management, and client engagement
The position can be offered on either a full-time or a part-time basis
We operate an agile working policy with the expectation that around 50% of your time will be spent in the offices stated above, fluctuating as required to suit business and individual needs.
You will likely have:
- A strong academic background, with a Masters level degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or Engineering Geology
- Chartered status with a relevant professional body (for example the ICE)
- Experience in developing innovative geotechnical engineering solutions to current design standards; with experience in the water sector in general, and dam engineering in particular an advantage
- Capability with foundation, slope, and retaining wall design software; with numerical modelling software experience, and coding capability an advantage
- Experience of the implementation or construction of design solutions on construction sites
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills; able to collaborate effectively with all levels of staff and clients and nurture the development of junior staff
- Ability and enthusiasm for supervising the work of others, including check and approval of key deliverables
- Have gained project management skills and demonstrable technical lead and collaborative capabilities
Our geotechnical team in Cambridge primarily services the Water Sector; delivering critical inputs for dam, hydropower, flood defence, and water treatment and transfer projects, located both in the UK and overseas. Project inputs span the full range of scheme delivery phases, and project sizes.
As a growing team which strives for technical excellence, we are on the lookout for a talented ground engineering professional to add to our delivery capabilities and support junior members of staff.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
For more information about our Water sector click here
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence