Job Type: Full time
The Mott MacDonald ecology practice is an exciting place to be with over 120 full time ecologists with different skills, specialisms and a strong team spirit. Mott MacDonald prides itself on looking after staff and helping people to achieve their potential. We work with a diverse range of clients and projects that provide engaging opportunities for people working at Mott MacDonald.
Mott MacDonald have an expanding Ecology Team in the North of England, and we are recruiting an Ecologist to join us in either our Leeds or Sheffield offices.
The Northern Ecology Team delivers services covering a range of sectors including transportation, water, built infrastructure, defence, support to local authorities and regulators. Our work covers a huge variety of projects within a range of locations throughout northern England and there are also opportunities to assist on projects in the rest of the UK and occasionally internationally.
The role of Ecologist will be varied and will strike a balance between office based and site work. You will lead on a range of ecological surveys, managing field data and delivery of technical reports. You will also have the opportunity to expand your experience by working with our technical specialists and/or managing small-scale projects with the support of senior staff, depending on your interests.
Project dependent, the role can span all stages of a project's life cycle, from design conception to implementation; giving opportunities to positively influence scheme design, enhancements and promote best practice. Although you will be a member of the Northern Ecology Team, you will also be connected to a much larger team of ecologists. There are excellent opportunities for you to progress your career through promotion, as well develop on a key role within our UK ecology team.
- A degree in biology/ecology or directly related subject is essential and an additional higher degree would be an advantage. We are looking for candidates with a combination of the following:
- Experience in the UK ecological consultancy market.
- Member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management or equivalent.
- Broad knowledge of terrestrial ecology.
- Personal protected species survey licences, or equivalent areas of additional specialisation (e.g. in ornithology, botany).
- Proficiency in a range of field survey techniques for protected species and habitats.
- Experience of undertaking Ecological Clerk of Works roles.
- Proficiency in report writing skills, displaying high standards with attention to detail and ability to write accurate and concise reports, such as ecological appraisals, survey reports, method statements.
- Experience in planning, assisting, and delivering baseline or species/habitat specific surveys to fulfil project requirements related to EIA, HRA etc
- Willingness to mentor more junior staff.
- Ability to travel to undertake fieldwork.
We are an employee owned company and are small enough to have a family feel but large enough to work on some of the biggest projects in the UK. We pay our ecologists in line with their engineering colleagues. Our projects are interesting, technically challenging and we excel in offering innovative solutions. Our ecology teams across the UK are highly experienced in their fields and are proactive when working together imparting knowledge. We are a well-respected company with strong values. We have an active fully inclusive sports and social team, who have a number of events throughout the year including sports day, skiing trips and environment forums.