Technical Director - Advanced Analysis
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You will be involved in a range of technically stimulating projects focused on delivering value-added, sustainable and cost -effective solutions for our clients, operating at the cutting edge of engineering and science. As a Technical Principal, you will deliver tailored solutions as part of our advanced structural analysis team, specialised in structural dynamics, noise & vibration, blast analysis and design, but also collaborating with the wider Special Services teams such as materials technology, civils asset management. In particular, you will be a key representative of our technical leadership across the team and you will contribute to technical development by mentoring others and sharing your knowledge and experience. You will also connect with colleagues across Mott MacDonald to promote effective collaboration, regularly liaising with our Global Practices which govern our technical excellence standards.
Your main responsibilities will include the following:
- Providing technical direction and leading to the application of sound and appropriate technical approaches and solutions;
- Ensuring good technical standards are met and quality assurance processes are in place;
- Reviewing, supervising and approving the technical input and output of projects;
- Supervising and reviewing from simple to more complex finite element models for structural analysis purposes;
- Providing technical inputs to proposals
- Reviewing and approving design outputs such as calculations and technical reports;
- Ensuring agility in responding to our clients' requests
- Guiding and mentoring the development of early career professionals.
Your key strengths and areas of expertise will include:
- a problem-solving mindset and are not afraid to step outside your comfort zone by tackling new engineering problems
- a strong understanding of structural behaviour and material properties from first principles
- hands on experience with finite element modelling and analysis
- experience and understanding of structural dynamics and/or acoustics (such as ground borne noise and vibration
- Design of reinforced concrete structures and structural assessment of existing assets
- Keenness to maintain a predominantly technical role for your career with often a hands-on involvement in projects.
Other desirable fields of experience include:
- Steel design
- Reinforced concrete assessment
- Masonry structures
- Noise and vibration
- Experience with LUSAS finite element software
- Non-linear FEA
- Structural inspections
As an engineering professional, you have a background of delivering innovative solutions to stimulating and dynamic infrastructure projects within the built environment. You have proven experience in structural analysis and design and have an understanding of structural dynamics. You are comfortable guiding and developing early career professionals within civil/structural engineering and you enjoy working as part of team solving various problems. As a technical professional you strive to deliver technical excellence through tailored solutions to various clients.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- A Degree (Batchelors, Masters, PhD) within Civil Structural or Mechanical Engineering (with experience in the civil/structural sector) or similar
- Chartered with a relevant professional institution (e.g. ICE, IStructE, IMechE)
- Good communication skills with the ability to build professional relationships with both colleagues and clients.
- Although not essential, any experience working within a research capacity would be advantageous.
Special Services team in Mott MacDonald is at the forefront of developing innovative solutions to complex challenges in built infrastructure, working across various asset types across the full asset lifecycle. We are a team of inquisitive individuals from diverse backgrounds with expertise in advanced structural analysis, dynamics, noise & vibration,, materials technology, civils, asset management ,and information management; supporting variety of clients, including national asset owners, major contractors, international development agencies and industry research bodies.
Our team of experts includes civil, structural and mechanical engineers, materials technology experts, physicists engineering geologists, computer scientists and management specialists. We are renown for developing solutions from first principles and often operate beyond established standards and guidance, pushing boundaries in every task we are engaged in. We also undertake research and development and participate in technology innovation through partnerships with innovation agencies and start-ups.