Principal Engineering Geologist
Location: West Midlands
Job Type: Full time
As part of the engineering geology team, you will assist in the management and delivery of geotechnical projects whilst also supporting the broader engineering geology resource team. You'll be involved in project management duties such as undertaking quality and financial management (including budgeting and cost control) and liaise with both internal and external clients as well as assist with guiding and mentoring Graduate Engineers within the team. Working within a dynamic team there are opportunities to be involved in technical specialist areas such as seismic design, geomorphological mapping and GIS. In addition to this, due to the international nature of our work there may be opportunities for you to work on overseas projects which are sometimes undertaken in remote areas requiring self-sufficiency and personal robustness.
Key responsibilities will involve the following:
- Preparing desk studies and technical reports
- Planning, procuring, supervising and reporting on ground investigations to the requirements of EC7 (Eurocode-7)
- Provide engineering geological input and parameter derivation, in both soils and rock for a range of geotechnical design areas including foundations and substructures, slope stability assessment, earthworks, tunnels etc.
- Provide input to soil and rock mechanics analyses as well as classifying rock masses using rock mass rating systems
- Lead and review work undertaken by early career professionals and other members of the team.
As an Engineering Geology professional within the UK ground engineering market, you are able to demonstrate your geotechnical and ground engineering expertise including previous experience in ground investigation procurement, supervision and interpretation as well as geotechnical design. You are familiar with Eurocode-7 (EC7) and understand the UK ground engineering sectors contract conditions and specifications. Throughout your Consultancy background, you have gained strong interpersonal skills and are comfortable liaising with Clients, collaborating and communicating effectively with all levels of staff and stakeholders. Additionally, you are used to working within a team environment and delivering various medium-large projects (ideally multidisciplinary) within ground engineering.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree educated in a Ground Engineering related subject (preferably with an MSc or similar)
- Chartered with a UK professional organisation (or similar)
- Project management experience including financial management and quality control
- Experience in managing other staff
- Input in a portfolio of projects that demonstrate a range of experience
- An understanding of managing geotechnical risk throughout the project lifetime
- At the required entry level you will be expected to provide a degree of self-sufficiency in project work and assist early career professionals or other members of the team.
Due to the nature of our work and projects, you will be willing to travel nationally to visit various clients and it is essential that you hold a driving license in order to travel to remote sites when required. If you are willing to travel for overseas projects, this will be advantageous. Although not essential, it would be beneficial if you have previous experience working in the hydropower sector, on contaminated land projects and with geomorphological or geological mapping and GIS experience.
Our Foundations and Geotechnics team manages and delivers designs for major below ground civil projects and is recognised as authoritative and cutting edge. We specialise in all aspects of foundations, geotechnics and tunnelling, and contribute to some of the largest and most demanding structures in the world. We provide expertise in value engineering, geotechnical advice, geotechnical information management, site investigation, rock engineering, slope engineering, coastal engineering and environmental geotechnics. Supporting our civil design capability, we have specialist engineering geology, numerical modelling, seismic and hydrogeology expertise within the division and our project portfolio include Crossrail, Thames Tideway, Wembley, Victoria Station Upgrade, HS2 Phase 1 and Phase 2b, to name a few.
As a result of a growth in major and varied project work we are looking to recruit a Principal (Chartered) Engineering Geologist to provide ground engineering input at all project stages from feasibility studies, through to design to construction supervision. The role can be based from one of our Croydon, Birmingham, Reading or Bristol offices. We are also open to discussing full time or part time options with candidates.
- We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.