Principal Civil Asset Management Consultant
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
As a Principal Civil Asset Management Consultant in our Special Services team, you will be joining and helping to lead a unique and talented multi-disciplinary team that includes civil, structural and geotechnical engineers, structural analysts, materials engineers, data analysts and information and asset management specialists. We work on a wide range of projects that span the full lifecycle of civil engineering assets in the UK road, rail, water and energy sectors in the UK and beyond, including tunnels, bridges, retaining walls, culverts, piers and jetties, geotechnical and drainage assets. We contribute to the design of new assets and advise on the management of existing assets, involving the collection and analysis of construction, condition and performance data, specialist structural investigation, testing and assessment, and the development of asset management processes, tools and technologies. We are proud of our long track record of providing innovative solutions and first-class services to external clients who are major physical asset owners and to our colleagues in the wider Mott MacDonald group across our global business.
As a senior member of our team you will be responsible for helping to grow our business and for the creation, technical leadership and management of projects that include creating strategies, plans, processes and tools for managing risk and optimising the value of civil engineering assets. You will use your engineering domain knowledge and the experience you have gained to solve problems and develop solutions for the many and varied technical challenges that come our team's way, ensuring that the work we do has a sound technical basis and delivers on our client's requirements. In all of this you will use your knowledge of how civil engineering assets perform as part of wider infrastructure and critically appraise requirements to ensure that the work we do is practical and deliverable and adds value in the wider context of our clients' businesses.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Guiding and supporting the development of the technical capabilities of our team, line management and mentoring of individuals and setting and maintaining high professional and technical standards.
- Establishing relationships with external and internal clients, through understanding their needs and earning their trust, and helping to grow our business by winning new work.
- Developing and scoping solutions in response to invitations to tender and other opportunities, preparing and reviewing proposals including technical and commercial aspects.
- Managing projects your own projects, taking responsibility for all aspects of their delivery and peformance.
- Producing, checking and reviewing technical deliverables to ensure they meet client needs, quality standards and contracted obligations.
- Supporting innovation and the use of technology to enhance the delivery, efficiency and quality of our work and the services we offer to clients.
The role would suit someone who has sound civil/structural engineering technical and problem-solving skills and would like to apply them a highly diverse portfolio of projects, facing the new and different challenges they bring. You are interested in new developments and technologies and how they can be applied in civil engineering and asset management.
You enjoy challenge and diversity, working in a highly technical environment, across a variety of asset and construction types and materials in various sectors and for a range of clients. You will have strong inter-personal, influencing, presentation and report writing skills and be comfortable working collaboratively with and coordinating the input of colleagues with different skillsets, taking responsibility as a technical leader or a team member as the need arises.
You've previously worked on multiple concurrent and multi-disciplinary commissions and have proven client engagement and project management skills. You're also confident in representing the company to clients and working with a range of project stakeholders, with a track record of developing business and winning and delivering projects. In addition to this you have previously managed small teams of engineers and have mentored or trained members of the wider engineering team.
You will have experience of planning, executing and interpreting the results of inspections and investigations of a variety of civil engineering assets, appraising their condition and performance and developing strategies, detailed proposals and designs for their enhancement and life-extension.
Additionally, you will be familiar with asset management principles and bring your understanding and knowledge of the needs of asset-owning client organisations to all the work that you do, so that the solutions you develop are practical and add value in that context.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- A good degree or post-graduate degree in Civil Engineering or another STEM subject
- Chartered with a relevant professional institution (ICE, IStructE, IET or similar)
- Experience in the inspection, investigation, monitoring and assessment of civil engineering structures, an understanding of how they perform, deteriorate, and fail and how they can be protected, maintained and repaired
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and build professional relationships with clients, peers and other organisations