Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
We are seeking someone who enjoys working in a close-knit team but large team. You will be passionate about using your experience and knowledge for professional excellence, leading the team in the development of solutions both in-team and for our wide range of clients. You would contribute to the growth of our people, our environment business across our ecology practice which comprises 130 ecologists. You will enjoy rising to a challenge, finding ways to add value for our customers, using and promoting innovative technology and above all, ensuring quality is maintained. Most importantly you will be helping us to build a lasting and sustainable environmental business.
No day is the same in Mott MacDonald, we thrive to give our ecologists a mixed experience of projects and tasks and challenge you to achieve the best of your ability. This ensures that we maximise your opportunities and training that develops your skills and our business.
Whether it is on site or in the office, you will be working as part of our team and working with ecologists covering all levels of experience and working with our environmental and engineering colleagues which will help you further understand our consultancy and construction business.
This opportunity is not a one-way street as we will give you an exciting space in which to develop. You will be visible within our business, working with other ecology team leads across the UK and providing you with the opening for your reputation to grow, allowing you to influence peers both internally and across the sector.
We would like to discuss with you what role you would like to have within Mott MacDonald and set responsibilities once we know your key goals and aspirations. We have a lot of varied and interesting roles that will appeal to most ecologists. Dependent upon where you are based, you will report into a regional and area lead who co-ordinate with teams throughout the UK.
- Competent Ecologist with strong UK experience.
- A degree in Ecology (or directly related subject). An additional higher degree would be an advantage.
- Full member of CIEEM, ideally a Chartered or working towards Chartered Environmentalist/Ecologist.
- Good knowledge of wildlife legislation including planning processes and/or EIA/HRA assessments and undertaking surveys.
- Good knowledge, understanding and experience of applying relevant guidance for surveys.
- Proficiency in report writing skills, displaying good standards with attention to detail and ability to write accurate and concise reports, including EcIAs and HRAs.
- Proficiency in undertaking quality assurance on a wide range of ecology reports, including EcIAs and HRAs.
- Experience in field surveys including Phase 1 habitat survey, UK Habitat assessment, BNG condition assessment and protected species surveys.
- Attention to detail and the ability to deliver contracts on time and to budget.
- Excellent communication skills including report writing and checking.
- Excellent business development skills with drive and ambition to grow these key areas.
- Experience in the UK ecological consultancy market, with desirable experience of external-facing, client-orientated roles.
- Willingness to mentor junior staff.
- Willingness to encourage innovation and digital services.
- Willingness to travel throughout the UK
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
We are an employee-owned company, our ecology teams are small enough to have a family feel but large enough to work on some of the UK's biggest projects. We pay our ecologists in line with their engineering colleagues. You would be able to earn performance-based bonuses throughout the year. Our projects are interesting, technically challenging and we excel in offering innovative solutions. Our ecology teams across the UK are highly experienced in their fields and are proactive when working together imparting knowledge. We are a well-respected company with strong values.
We have a strong sports and social team who have several events throughout the year which is fully inclusive as well as UK wide events such as sports day, skiing trips and environment forums. Through our corporate social responsibility work we aim to make a positive difference and staff are supported to participate in activities to support their local communities.