Senior River Water Quality Modeller
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Senior River Water Quality Modeller
As a senior river water quality modeller, you will be part of a large team of water resources and flood risk specialists, working closely with our teams of engineers and asset planners to deliver a wide range of services for UK and international clients. This will give you opportunities to work with industry-standard hydrodynamic and water-quality modelling packages and also to innovate to go beyond the current standards. You will work with industry-leading experts to develop integrated drainage and river network models, investigate the natural processes influencing the fate of contaminants, build ad-hoc assessment tools tailored to project specific needs and undertake statistical analyses. For those with related interests, there are many opportunities to get involved across our teams on activities such as hydrology, systems modelling, groundwater modelling, flood modelling and computational food dynamics.
Your input will help our project teams and clients to deliver complex multidisciplinary projects, resulting in strategic decisions, engineering solutions and the desirable social outcomes that you can be proud of. Whether it is ensuring future discharge compliance in light of climate change and population growth, preventing sewage from spilling to rivers, estuaries, lakes and reservoirs or exploring how wetlands can play a key role in reducing pollution, your work will bring lasting benefits to local communities and the environment around the world.
You will be responsible for:
- Delivering complex modelling projects - working with experts across a range of disciplines to apply your attention to detail and numerical skills to environmental engineering projects.
- Analysing large datasets to distil out patterns and relationships and provide insights and foresights to inform effective decisions and interventions to create positive social and environmental impacts.
- Managing projects and maintaining client relationships.
- Assisting with proposal writing, winning work and the development of new business by providing key technical inputs.
- Supporting and training to junior colleagues, where practicable, mentoring and developing early career professionals.
- Mott MacDonald is a unique company with a strong sense of purpose to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' business, our communities and employee opportunities.
- You can look forward to many opportunities to do great things in Mott MacDonald. We combine heritage, vision and values into an ethos that encourages innovative thinking and career progression, whether technical, management or commercial/client-facing. Our employee-owned structure brings us the flexibility to pursue our values freely. With us, you will have control of your own career path and technical direction, which we will support by giving you the opportunities to face new challenges and take more responsibilities.
Required for the position of Senior River Water Quality Modeller.
- Relevant degree-level qualifications (e.g. geography, mathematics, environmental sciences, civil engineering, or other related disciplines)
- Chartered with an appropriate professional body.
- Proven track record in successful delivery of SOAF and UPM projects (all levels) for UK water companies.
- Good understanding of hydrodynamics, sediments and water quality processes.
- Expertise in industry standard software such as Infoworks ICM
- Coding skills and statistical foundations will be an advantage.
- Willingness to innovate.
- Able to guide and mentor junior staff.
- If you have most of these attributes, we would love to hear from you. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
With the ongoing and future impact of climate change and the increasing regulation to protect the ecology of our waterbodies, there is an increasing need for river modelling to verify water quality compliance and to advise on potential mitigation. We have an excellent track record in supporting UK water companies in SOAF and UPM studies and an industry leading position in developing innovative modelling approaches in Infoworks ICM and FMP. Our expertise also expands to cover coastal water quality investigations, source apportionment assessments, catchment management modelling and the application of nature-based solutions to tackle pollution.
We have secured major AMP7 frameworks with most UK water companies, and we have a global reach to support regulators, asset owners and investors worldwide. This means that demand for these services continues to grow, and in response to this we are keen to engage a talented senior river water quality modeller to drive innovation, work across disciplines in complex modelling projects, support the development of our people and strengthen our offering.
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application.
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes