Materials Lead- Site
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
You will be based on site, providing technical support to the Contractor and Design Joint Venture (DJV) Construction Phase Support team (CST). Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
You will be prepared to join meetings between the Contractor and CST when requested to provide expert knowledge on Materials issues.
You will be responsible for ensuring that the CST have the required Materials related information to enable timely provision of reviews and responses to all non-conformance reports (NCRs), Technical Queries (TQs), Field Change Requests (FCRs) and Requests for Information (RFIs).
Where agreed with the CST Area Lead, you will take responsibility for managing the response to specific Materials related RFIs, FCRs and NCRs, involving members of the Croydon Materials Team as required..
You will oversee the Material Approval Form (MAF) process ensuring that they are responded to in the required timeframe.
You will maintain an overview of the contractor's test results and thermal monitoring data.
You will manage health and safety in design inputs as needed to any Materials related queries.
You will support the CST Area Leads by providing any Materials related information required for as built drawings/ models/ information for submission.
- Degree qualified Chartered Civil, Structural or Materials Engineer (preferably with a construction materials related Masters or PhD.)
- You will be able to demonstrate competency and experience, either as a Designer's Representative or in a contracting role
- Good understanding of construction assurance processes and proven experience of investigating and closing out issues.
- Good knowledge of construction materials, their primary deterioration mechanisms, test methods and compliance requirements
- Confident communicator, able to summarise technical issues and convey the information clearly and concisely to non-technical stakeholders
- Self-motivated, with good IT skills
- If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
High Speed Two (HS2) is Britain's first new, intercity railway north of London in over 100 years. Mott MacDonald and SYSTRA are working together as part of a design joint venture (DJV) for two main works civil contract lots N1 and N2. The DJV is designing the railway route from Long Itchington to Birmingham. The GBP 4 billion Area North project involves the construction of 350 assets, including bridges, viaducts, tunnels and cuttings associated with surrounding civil works.
We are seeking an experienced site professional with good materials knowledge to lead on materials related issues arising on site. You will work alongside the Construction Phase Support team (CST) providing materials input in their investigations into non-conformance reports (NCR), Technical Queries (TQ), Field Change Request (FCR) and Requests for Information (RFI), Material Approval Forms (MAF). Although based on site, you will be a member of the Croydon based Materials Team, an established team focused on professional excellence, project delivery and client-orientated solutions, currently working on projects in Australia, the USA, Bangladesh, The Maldives, Barbados as well as the UK
You will be able to draw on the knowledge and support of your colleagues in the Materials Team who specialise in sustainable and durable designs, durability and thermal modelling, low carbon materials, defect investigation and developing repair strategies. As part of the Specialist Services Resource Group, the team works closely with specialists in advanced structural analysis, dynamics and asset management to develop solutions for challenging engineering problems.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes