Senior Design Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As a Senior Design Engineer you will be responsible for supporting the cost effective, safe and high-quality approach to rail telecommunications design and consultancy works.
What you will contribute to the team;
- You will be involved in a range of design responsibilities and consultancy activities for a wide range of railway clients.
- Day to day responsibilities will include rail telecoms design input for multidisciplinary feasibility studies, option selection, outline design and detailed design.
- From a client side, you may be required to support client technical advisor or project engineering roles.
- Experience of Operational Telecoms, SISS, Networking or SCADA.
- Typical duties will include supporting or leading telecoms designs (as CRE), and:
- Undertaking site surveys (including daytime and over-night).
- Liaison with clients on technical matters throughout the design development and delivery process.
- Designing or Checking of telecoms engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects, in the form of Design Models and Drawings, including 2D CAD and 3D data driven models, CCTV and acoustic modelling etc.
- Production or checking of Design reports and submissions.
- Production or checking of Technical specifications.
- Acting as client technical advisor or project engineer.
- Observation of company quality, health & safety, environmental, commercial and project management disciplines and procedures, as relevant to tasks undertaken.
- Supporting tendering and bid process.
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, alongside other discipline Engineers for the delivery of projects.
- Working with other Telecoms Engineers within the local working office, other offices within the UK and abroad.
- Working with Global Design Services (located off-shore) for the production of design deliverables including drawings.
Required for the position of Senior Design Engineer;
- Demonstrable experience in Operational Telecoms, SISS, Networking or SCADA.
- Preferrable rail experience including Telecoms Lead or CRE role.
- Good understanding of applicable Network Rail Standards, Railway Group Standards, British / European Standards and railway safety principles.
- Able to understand and interpret overseas standards (for projects abroad).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and good presentation skills.
- Effective organisational skills.
- Able to apply initiative and to take responsibility.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Educated to HND and/or degree level in electrical and electronic engineering or similar.
- Desirably a chartered engineer or working towards this status.
- Possess a reasonable level of IT skills and knowledge of railway engineering standards and practices.
- Agile, flexible and able to adapt to change easily to the working environment (including working with overseas Clients in different time zones, different working culture etc).
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.