Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer in our successful Foundations and Geotechnics team, you will have the opportunity to broaden your experience and work with a range of public and private sector clients on some key and major projects. You will be involved in producing design solutions in line with current Eurocodes, reports specifications and drawings covering a range of project requirements within foundations and geotechnics. You'll deliver various geotechnical and underground structures projects and provide technical leadership through leading the team and managing their design work. You'll also support larger projects acting as client liaison and contributing to risk assessments, employing sustainability and undertaking budgeting and cost control.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Design foundations and substructures associated with large underground spaces such as deep basements and shafts, metro boxes, earthworks and slope stability
- Design retaining wall systems and major temporary works associated with underground structures
- Lead in 2D and 3D numerical modelling for soil/structure interaction issues associated with below-ground structures
- Travel to project sites when necessary for project delivery and client liaison meetings
- Managing small single disciplinary design teams.
As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer in ground engineering and geotechnics, you are able to direct and deliver multiple concurrent projects on time and within budget. You've designed various geotechnical and foundation solutions using current standards and Eurocodes and have previously worked on major projects. You have strong interpersonal skills and are able to liaise with various clients and build professional relationships. You are comfortable with your technical expertise in the ground engineering sector and have gained various project management skills throughout your career as well as acted in a technical lead capability. You're an effective communicator and are able to collaborate with all levels of staff and clients. In addition to this, you are a relationship builder and understand the dynamics of working with a team as well as working autonomously.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Masters or PhD degree in Civil Engineering with emphasis on geotechnics or Masters in related subject
- Relevant geotechnical experience
- Chartered Engineer with the ICE or equivalent
- Experiencing of managing small teams of engineers
- Experience guiding and nurturing a team of Engineers in their technical development
- Has mentored early career professionals as a DE or SCE
- Advanced user of PLAXIS 2D and PLAXIS 3D numerical modelling software
- Prepared to travel nationally and internationally as needed for any project.
- Although not essential, if you have knowledge and experience in programming/scripting (VBA, Python, etc.), this would be advantageous.
- We are also happy to accept applicants on a full-time or part-time basis and are supportive of agile working.
Mott MacDonald below ground heavy civils and geotechnical engineering capability is recognised as authoritative and cutting edge. Our Metro and Civils Division specialise in all aspects of foundations, Geotechnics and tunnelling, and contribute to some of the largest and most demanding structures in the world. Our expertise includes delivering value management and value engineering, geotechnical advice, geotechnical information management, site investigations, rock engineering, slope engineering, geoseismic design, and 2D/3D numerical modelling. The projects we have engaged in include high speed infrastructure (HS1 and HS2), Victoria Station Upgrade, Doha Metro, Northern Line Extension, London Heathrow Third Runway Expansion Project, Crossrail and Crossrail 2, Nuclear New-build and Hydropower schemes as well as opportunities to work on and support projects World-wide in other regions of the Group. We were also voted Consulting Firm of the Year at the 2020 Ground Engineering Awards.
We can offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
An annual professional institution subscription
Enhanced parental leave
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.