Senior Town Planner
Job Type: Full time
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
We are seeking a Senior Town Planner to join our expanding town planning team, to be based within our Leeds or Altrincham office, supporting us in the delivery of a range of major projects This is to support and grow our capabilities in providing strategic advice and securing planning approvals across a range of sectors, including energy and water infrastructure, climate resilience, defence, highways, rail, education, health, housing, employment and mixed-use regeneration and waste focused schemes.
You will be responsible for supporting and helping to grow our northern planning team based in our Liverpool, Altrincham and Leeds offices. Developing relationships with colleagues across the business, you will have a particular focus on developing links within your city region. You will be working alongside the full range of technical disciplines Mott MacDonald offers on some of the largest and complex infrastructure and development projects in the UK. These will cover multiple sectors including energy, water, transport and the built and natural environment, for clients including Ministry of Justice, Network Rail, National Highways, Environment Agency, Leeds City Council and Wirral Council.
The work will be challenging and varied, ranging from preparing and submitting planning applications to strategic town planning consultancy advice including and advising on consenting processes/strategies and informing optioneering processes for scheme development. There are also opportunities to help deliver a number of Development Consent Orders (DCOs) for Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIP's) following recent wins across the rail and water sectors.
Key responsibilities as a Senior Town Planner include:
- Working as part of the planning team to deliver a range of planning projects, including working alongside and potentially project managing other disciplines as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Writing and reviewing planning deliverables to a very high standard. This includes high level options appraisals, preparing and reviewing documents for planning applications, Marine Licensing, Environmental Permitting, Energy Consents, TWAOs or DCOs and planning policy preparation and advice.
- Project managing and co-ordinating the preparation of planning applications.
- Liaising with Local Planning Authorities / Statutory Consultees as necessary to ensure applications are registered and determined within a timely manner.
- Preparing inputs and potentially leading bids for new work.
- Supporting more junior members of staff in their chartership and professional development.
You will be required to have the following skills and experience:
- Degree and/or Masters in Town Planning.
- Extensive town planning experience.
- Chartered Member of the RTPI.
- Experience of preparing and submitting planning applications, drafting reports, feasibility studies, masterplans and regeneration strategies.
- Experience of working with a range of client bodies including both private sector and public sector.
- Previous experience of, and having an active role in the delivery of varied infrastructure, regeneration and environmental projects.
- Experience in overseeing, and/or project managing multidisciplinary projects.
- Experience of supporting and mentoring more junior members of the team.
- Experience of team working to support the delivery of projects.
- Experience of financial accountability for projects and delivery of projects within budget.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.