Senior Mechanical Building Services Engineer
Location: Tyne and Wear
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
We are seeking a qualified and enthusiastic Senior Mechanical Building Services Engineer to join, and take ownership of, our successful Building Services team in Newcastle. The role provides the opportunity to manage a diverse and experienced team and work on an exciting range of projects in both private and public sector, including major framework & infrastructure developments in addition to one-off projects. The role will be challenging, varied and offer opportunities for skills development and career development.
As the successful candidate, you will have a strong background and proficiency in Building Services Mechanical Engineering design and good technical competencies. Your strong written and verbal communication of technical issues to varied technical and non-technical audiences will be key to your success in the role.
We are passionately committed to our teams, clients and communities in our division, with offices in Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle. We pride ourselves in our local presence across the region and our ability to align the right combination of expertise from around the world from within our business.
As the successful candidate you will typically be responsible for:
- Preparation and review of documentation e.g. basis of designs, technical/design specifications, procurement specifications, assessment reports, survey reports, each tailored to a required stage of project completion, covering all aspects of mechanical services
- Implementation of detailed surveys of mechanical services and equipment to establish status of the existing installations and gain sufficient information to recommend new/upgrade design proposals
- Producing and reviewing mechanical design drawings and detailed calculations incl. HVAC, water, drainage, etc.
- Producing fee estimates for work elements
- Advising on all aspects of energy consumption and utilisation with recommendations to improve energy performance
- Monitoring of the design and project management of building services elements of projects within agreed programmes
- Compliance with Construction (Design and Management) Regulations, current legislation and standards associated with all engineering aspects of delegated project
- Supporting/ mentoring/ coaching junior mechanical engineers and apprentices to develop their skill set
As you contribute to the collective growth of our team's capability, we will offer you exceptional opportunities for technical and management skillset development and long term career progression.
The role will allow you to work flexibly with some of your time working remotely and some of your time in our offices in accordance with Government requirements and Company management requirements.
You will be able to demonstrate technical experience in delivering a range of building accommodation and/or infrastructure projects.
Take a look at the skills, qualifications and experience we're looking for, as listed below. Please bear in mind that you may not need to meet 100% of these to be considered for the position.
- Experience at a senior level of mechanical engineering in the built environment, preferably within a consultancy business and preferably with experience in the Defence, Ministry of Justice, and Health care sectors
- A degree in building services engineering specialising in mechanical or equivalent Building Services work experience
- Chartered Engineer, or actively working towards chartership
- Have experience of working on large building projects (£5M+)
- Up to date knowledge of current building regulations, legislation and standards applicable in building / infrastructure design environments
- The application of BREEAM and DREAM
- Highly competent user/ knowledge of industry recognised software and mechanical engineer design tools including NBS specifications and IES/ TAS
- BIM knowledge and experience
- Be able to negotiate reasonable LoD duties for projects
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work on own initiative and the confidence to make decisions
- Ability to work well collaboratively, both internally and with external partners and sub-contractors
- Good verbal communication skills, and a positive attitude
Please note applicants must be able to attain security clearance.
A bit about us
The Mott MacDonald Group is a dynamic and innovative multi sector management, engineering and development consultancy working on landmark projects worldwide. With 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of projects across all sectors we're helping our clients deliver sustainable net zero carbon infrastructure and development solutions.
We are one of the largest employee-owned companies in the world; our network of 180 principal offices in 140 countries gives us local market insight backed by world class expertise to deliver excellence for every client. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace.
About the division
The division has multiple offices; with established MEP teams in Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle. All offices host a variety of other engineering disciplines. The offices are very modern, and conveniently located within walking distance of city centres and train stations.