Senior Intelligent Transport Systems Consultant
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
The Senior Consultant will provide technical and management support to opportunities, tenders and projects. For this role an understanding of the concepts and implementation of Road Tolling and/or Road user charging systems is required. Our ideal candidate is a consultant able to think strategically understanding clients' issues and working closely with Mott MacDonald colleagues to develop solutions from initial concept through to initial and detailed design phases.
In addition. he or she will have experience of working in the UK and ideally elsewhere, and so will have a broad understanding of proven and developing technologies across the Transport arena together with their application to meet client needs. The role could be based in our Bristol, Birmingham Southampton or Glasgow office, with travel in the UK a necessity. Travel abroad may also be required, both to deliver work and win new work for Mott MacDonald.
Reports to: Head of Service -ITS
Direct reports (if any): Potentially Graduate ITS Engineer
Interacts with: External Client strategy, technical and planning teams, Internal: other technical disciplines, especially transport and strategy teams,
- Provide strategic technical and operational expertise in Intelligent transport systems, particularly in the areas of Road User Charging and/or Tolling
- Identification of opportunities
- Liaison with customers to establish requirements, coordinate work and provide support;
- Production of design documentation;
- Design, commissioning and testing of solutions;
- Utilise management information to effectively manage own and team performance
- Set and review objectives, targets and performance for all team members
- Monitor and manage to KPIs
- Management of the day to day work of project team(s) to achieve objectives
- Provide regular support, feedback and coaching to develop team members
- Identify, escalate and / or manage opportunities, risks and issues as appropriate.
- Ensure a thorough and up to date understanding of:
- Procedures and standards,
- Operational systems and processes,
- Contribute to the wider team and organisation through project work when requested
Our ideal candidate is a proven leader with a track record of involvement in tolling or road user charging projects. He or she will have experience of working in the UK and abroad if possible and will have a broad understanding of proven and developing technologies across the Transport arena together with their application to meet client needs. Previous work within the UK will have ensured a detailed understanding of their requirements and proven means to meet them. Ideally, the candidate will be recognised within the industry. The role can be based in our Birmingham, Bristol Glasgow, or Southampton office with travel within the UK (especially between these offices) a necessity. Travel abroad may also be required, to deliver secured work and win new work for Mott MacDonald.
Essential academic, professional qualifications and experience:
- BEng / BSc (in engineering or related subject)
- ITS consultancy and / or engineering
- Road Charging or Tolling Desired academic, professional qualifications and experience:
- Chartered Engineer (or equivalent)
- APM Registered Project Professional
- Evidence of supporting winning proposals
- Experience of working with National England and UK local authorities
Essential competencies / skills:
- Track record of supporting the successful delivery of major ITS projects
- Ability to develop relationships and engender trust with Clients and partners
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong sense of initiative
- A team player
Desired competencies / skills:
- Flexibility in working location / country
- Customer relationship skills
- Project, financial and resource management skills
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.