Senior Principal Civil Engineer - Utilities Lead
Location: City of Bristol
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
Are you a dynamic, experienced civil or utilities engineer working in the infrastructure sector who wants to join an employee-owned company that is passionate about creating the best outcomes for our clients and communities? Do you want to feel valued and add value?
We are looking for a Senior Principal Engineer to lead our utilities capability with a track record of contributing to the successful delivery of complex multi-disciplinary infrastructure and highways projects from scheme development through to Design and Build. We are a forward-looking organisation, and you will help our drive to enhance safety, innovate, standardise and automate delivery across projects supported by our practice and excellence networks. You will play a significant role in delivering great projects for our clients that align to our purpose of creating positive social outcomes through delivery excellence.
Mott MacDonald's Highways & Intelligent Transport Systems Division delivers services across the entire project lifecycle to clients such as National Highways, Transport Scotland, Welsh Government and Local Authorities and Contractors. Whether we are planning, designing and implementing new roads, or maintaining, managing, improving and operating existing highway networks, we deliver innovation, cost certainty and added value through collaborative working with clients and a culture of continuous improvement.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.
We are an equal opportunity employer, value diversity, do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
As Senior Principal Civil Engineer you will lead, develop and deliver the Division's capability within the utilities field across a wide range of infrastructure projects, mainly within the highways sector. In this role you will be responsible for:
- Managing utility design/diversion as part of highway & public transport infrastructure
- Promoting and ensuring adherence to our health and safety policy and procedures
- Maintaining a general knowledge of technical engineering codes and in particular NRSWA, HAUC and NJUG
- Compliance in accordance with the various utility companies' standard requirements
- Identifying bespoke engineering solutions to reduce the scope of utility diversions, driving efficiencies and cost savings
- Showing technical leadership and providing technical expertise and advice
- Controlling task programme and budgets
- Providing input into bids/tenders where utilities present a major risk to project delivery
Essential competencies / skills:
- Proven experience working with utilities in the civil engineering industry
- Thorough understanding of health, safety, wellbeing and EDI matters and proven ability to positively influence behaviours
- Experience applying CDM requirements in the role of Designer
- In depth knowledge of NRSWA, including a good understanding of cost savings under the Act
- Been involved in major projects from assessing feasibility, through to concept and detailed design and into construction
- The ability to manage delivery of utility diversions from C2 to C9 process
- Experience in leading design teams
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Civils 3D
- Excellent communication skills and well-developed emotional intelligence
- Effective organisational skills, as demonstrated by achievement of deadlines, priority setting and maintenance of accurate administration records
- Ability to supervise and delegate effectively
- Be available to travel for short assignments when required to other UK and possibly overseas offices.
- Bachelor's degree (Hons) or Masters in Civil Engineering in a relevant subject or alternative qualification (HNC / HND) supported by significant experience
- Chartered (Incorporated) Engineer (or equivalent)
- Professional membership in the highways sector e.g. Institution of Civil Engineers, MCIHT etc.
- Experience of engineering forms of contract (e.g. NEC3 and 4)
- Experience in the use of Navisworks; AutoDesk Infraworks; Bentley Open Roads and Projectwise
- Experience of UK highway design codes and standards (DMRB, Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works)
We are actively recruiting a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We recognise that differences in ability, skills and experience are a strength and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.