Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
The environmental demands in the water, transport, buildings, and power sectors in the UK and beyond need environmental specialists who can think laterally. In collaboration with ecology colleagues and other environmental disciplines you will be responsible for supporting a variety of multi-disciplinary projects for a range of clients, with a key focus on leading on a range of ecological surveys, managing field data and the delivery of technical reports. Project dependent, the role can span all stages of a project's life cycle, from design conception to implementation; giving opportunities to positively influence scheme design, enhancements and promote best practice. Mott MacDonald are committed to sustainable approaches that protect biodiversity and we actively encourage our clients to do the same.
We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle. For us to continue maintaining our collaborative client relationships and further grow our environmental capabilities. This role will suit a dynamic, proactive individual who wants to work in a growth area of our business and help support the delivery of ecological services in a fast moving, client focussed commercial environment.
If you think this could be the job you are looking for, then we would like to hear from you. A degree in biology/ecology or a directly related subject is essential and an additional higher degree would be an advantage. We are looking for candidates with a strong combination of the following:
- Full Member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management or equivalent, and Chartered status (or be working towards this).
- Experience in the UK ecological consultancy market with a strong client facing approach.
- Strong knowledge of wildlife legislation including planning processes and/or EIA/HRA assessments and undertaking surveys.
- Experience in field surveys including Phase 1 habitat survey, UK Habitat assessment, BNG condition assessment and protected species surveys.
- Excellent protected species knowledge and experience; ideally a holder of a protected species licence (more licences would be an advantage) and of Natural England mitigation licences for at least one species (again, more would be an advantage) within the last 5 years.
- Experience in leading on ecological inputs into large-scale projects.
- Proficiency in report writing skills, such as ecological appraisals, survey reports, method statements. Experience in checking reports produced by peers and team members. An attention to detail and ability to produce accurate and concise reports,
- Experience in planning, assisting and delivering baseline or species/habitat specific surveys to fulfil project requirements related to EIA, HRA etc.
- Experience in the production of HRA reports, for plans/strategies and well as projects.
- Experience in the use of the Defra BNG Metric, including baseline quantification, using the metric, and working iteratively with wider project teams to develop a habitat/landscaping scheme that achieves the required net gain.
- Willingness to mentor more junior staff.
- Willingness and ability to travel and undertake fieldwork in the UK.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.