Senior Project Manager - Water & Environment
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Our vision (with the help of you) is to deliver major projects as part of a global business and to establish our wide-ranging consultancy as credible and preferred for our existing and new clients.
As Senior Project Manager you will be leading and managing your own complex project or portfolio of projects on major water and environmental infrastructure schemes. This opportunity will enable you to shape the direction of our growing project management team in the Northwest of England and be part of an organisation delivering nationally significant programmes of work for the benefit of communities across the UK. You will drive innovation of our service delivery and become a trusted member of our clients' teams - often working in an integrated, collaborative environment with other experts from across Mott MacDonald and the industry.
About the team
Our environment and water portfolio is primarily a UK based business delivering project, programme and commercial management services to most of the UK's regulated Water/astewater clients and the Environment Agency. Our work stretches across the entire project lifecycle, from business case and definition of projects, through to feasibility, design, procurement and construction. We deliver capital projects on behalf of our clients that range from several hundred thousand pounds in value to major projects and programmes worth over £2billion. As a consequence of our recent successes and our growing workload in the Northwest, we are keen to engage new experienced project managers to help us deliver them.
- Leads teams of professionals delivering major projects or portfolios of smaller projects.
- Responsible for managing senior level customer relationships.
- Monitors the performance of contractors and progress of projects to time, cost and stated quality and environmental standards
- Effective management of health, safety and wellbeing of all those engaged on the project
- Supports project development in the early stages of the project lifecycle with other technical and commercial disciplines.
- Accountable for the management of projects during the implementation and handover phases including managing contract requirements relating to design solutions, construction and commissioning.
- Be accountable for the expenditure, and the out turn cost for the project including authorisation through specified governance and change control processes.
- Ensure effective communication and interfaces with the supply chain and procurement functions.
- Active stakeholder management to clarify requirements and agree project objectives and priorities. Maintain stakeholder involvement in key decisions.
- Manage project risk effectively - take responsibility for the management of the project risk and opportunities and effective mitigation measures to reduce risk.
- Be responsible for the project programme. Work with multidisciplinary delivery teams to update the programme as required.
- Proven track record of delivery of projects in the construction industry in regulatory environment
- Strong financial awareness, commercial acumen and analytical skill
- Good leadership and people management skills and an ability to build and develop high performing team
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to respond rapidly to unexpected events, and an ability to develop creative solutions to problems
- Delivery of key targets and objectives within the limits of available resources
- Proven track record of managing NEC contracts or similar contract arrangements
- Cost, schedule, H&S, change and risk management skills
- A degree or similar qualification in engineering or project management subject
- A relevant professional qualification with the APM, PMI or RICS
- Membership of the APM
- Chartered (or working towards chartership) with a relevant chartered body eg. APM (ChPP), CIWEM, ICE, CIOB, RICS
Preferred but not essential
- Experience within the water or environment sector
- Experience of working in client organisation in a lead delivery rol
- NEC Project Manager Accreditation (3 or 4)
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.