Senior / Principal Structural Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
We are looking for a talented and highly-motivated chartered structural engineer, with a background in infrastructure related projects, to join a group of enthusiastic engineers working on challenging and high profile projects.
In this role you will:
- Work as a structural design engineer within a team, helping to deliver typically large scale and challenging projects
- Review schemes and prepare conceptual design options, producing reports and sketches in different formats to convey your design
- Undertake detail design, predominantly in reinforced concrete and steelwork
- Supervise drafting and production of your designs
- Assess carbon emissions to provide information to clients
- Support management tasks with input to planning, costings and programmes
- Help to develop and mentor junior structural engineers
- Be able to lead smaller teams of structural engineers and work within larger teams, including other disciplines such as geotechnics, architecture, mechanical and electrical engineering, infrastructure
- Work in a wide variety of sectors including rail, aviation and health, all involving challenging structural engineering
For this role you will need:
- Experience with software packages commonly used in structural design such as Robot, Tekla Structural Designer, and TEDDS
- Strong organisational, collaboration and communication skills
You will also have:
- High quality technical skills in structural engineering
- An enthusiastic and dynamic approach to work
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for your work
- A desire to expand your technical knowledge and to learn new skills.
- Chartered engineer status as a member of a relevant institution (IStructE preferred)
- A background of experience in structural engineering of infrastructure projects, preferably across all stages of design through to construction.
We are actively recruiting a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We recognise that differences in ability, skills and experience are a strength and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
About the business unit
The Buildings and Cities Unit (BNC) has a major presence in Mott MacDonald's regional offices throughout the UK and mainland Europe, providing a wide range of diverse and transferable cross-sector skills across five key Sectors; Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation and Water. We also provide local services to customers and technical leadership to the rest of the Group in these sectors.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Did you know that Mott MacDonald is one of the world's largest employee-owned businesses? This means that we are not accountable to external stakeholders and are in control of our own future. This creates a unique culture where decisions are made for the benefit of the staff/company over the long term.
We are proud to be a one of Glassdoor's top 25 employers to work for in the UK in 2023, as well as being recognised by the Financial Times and market and consumer data company Statista as one of the UK's leading and highly recommended management consultants in: Construction & Infrastructure, Energy, Utilities & Environment, Public & Social Sector, Sustainability, and Travel, Transport & Logistics.