Civil Engineer (Design Engineer) - Water / Wastewater
Job Type: Full time
We are looking for a talented civil engineer (design engineer) to play a pivotal role within our water and wastewater treatment design team. This team is responsible for delivering all aspects of water and wastewater treatment projects, from feasibility to detailed design.
You will be part of a talented multi-disciplinary team of technical specialists delivering of a diverse range of medium-to-large-scale water and wastewater projects. We work on design projects for many of the UK water utility companies, as well as providing specialist consultancy services to many regulated and industrial clients in the UK and overseas.
You will have experience in civil design and integration with other disciplines (principally process, mechanical and electrical), including management of internal quality assurance systems and collaborative problem solving and will have contributed to the identification and development of affordable and low carbon solutions, including risk management.
Candidates will have contributed to and have experience in preparation of design deliverables to achieve the correct time / cost / quality balance for the project and will be able to engage with clients, suppliers and sub-contractors to establish scope and solutions, whilst complying with relevant standards. In this role you will have input into the programme and financial management of medium to large sized projects and will offer support for business development including work on proposals and tenders in the water and wastewater sector.
- We are seeking a civil engineer with experience in the design of water/wastewater projects who can demonstrate the following attributes:
- Experience of designing multi-disciplinary water or wastewater projects, using appropriate software for design calculations
- A knowledge of the layout and interconnectivity of treatment works processes (including the selection of appropriate methods of construction and materials for water-retaining structures, pipework and plant typically found on treatment works sites)
- A general knowledge of water and/or wastewater treatment process design, geotechnical engineering, structural design and hydraulics
- An understanding of the designer's responsibilities under the CDM regulations
- Strong communication skills to interact with colleagues, other engineering disciplines and clients
- Willingness to engage with and assist in the development of technical knowledge networks
- A drive to be abreast of professional development and knowledge of current and emerging technical solutions
- Flexibility to travel within the UK and overseas (up to two weeks per trip) would be advantageous to help support our wider UK and international workload.
The Water Consultancy Division is widely seen as the core of our water and wastewater delivery capability, providing support to colleagues across our global business, and offering the best opportunities to get involved in diverse and technically challenging work. This also offers the candidate access to industry recognised experts in many fields to provide support and career development opportunities.