Location: Borough of Halton
Job Type: Full time
Our commitment to you, once you join our team, is to foster growth and provide developmental opportunities to ensure you reach your utmost potential.
1. Purpose of Job
Ensure that Company , Gantry cranes and internal movement vehicles (IMV), plant and ancillary equipment (for which the job holder is certified as competent to operate) is operated and driven in a safe manner; ensure loads are safely and securely loaded to trains and other vehicles; prepare and shunt trains in a safe manner; as laid down in Company Group standards and Local Working Instructions. Participate in the general working of the site, with the aim of providing service excellence to our customers
2. Dimensions of the Job
Direct Budget £ Nil Staff Responsibilities None
Principal safety accountabilities:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with Freightliner Group Standards and Local Working Instructions and sections 7 & 8 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
- Responsible for own safety as is reasonable, must adhere to all policy rules, location LWI or other guidance affecting role.
- Ensuring that advice is sought when required from line Manager or safety department or others.
- Ensure that accidents, incidents or any perceived unsafe acts are reported promptly
- Shift Working Required
- When directed by management complete the following activities in a timely and efficient manner. Undertake daily operator checks of all, gantry cranes and IMV’s , ensuring that all relevant paperwork is completed.
- Operate, gantry cranes and IMV’s as authorised to do so, giving flexibility as and when required.
- Prepare trains for departure strictly in accordance with the provisions of Personnel & Safety Directive PSD/0233 “Train Pre-Departure Preparation Safety Check” under the direction of a supervisor.
- Unlocking and locking twist locks Control vehicle movements within the crane areas as and when required. Undertake general housekeeping duties with the site.
- Undertake train-shunting duties.
- Ensure prompt reporting of any mishap, near miss, lifted wagons or any other problem, completing all relevant supporting documentation.
- Attend safety briefings and adhere to instructions contained therein.
- Attend any training course to improve competence, including courses away from home location.
- Management would reasonably expect staff to remain on duty during peak handling periods or where late running trains could potentially impact on the site’s ability to maintain a quality service for the company’s customers, provided that any exceedance of duty is properly authorised.
- Undertake mentoring* of staff who have attended formal training courses in all aspects of terminal operations prior to competence assessment
- *Following formal training, passing on skills and experience.
- Management would reasonably expect staff to assist in the general running and upkeep of the site within their skill base and capabilities.
We are looking for the most committed and reliable individuals who possess the knowledge, skills and experience needed for their roles.
In return we can offer competitive pay, excellent benefits, a competitive pension scheme and a rewarding career in an award-winning team