Public Sector Paralegal
Location: Greater Manchester
Job Type: Full time
Would you like to kick start your career in a supportive, collaborative and innovative company?
Do you enjoy working as part of an enthusiastic, passionate, and collaborative team?
Join our Legal team
This an exciting opportunity to join the in-house legal team at Softcat. We are a small, friendly and supportive team based in Softcat's Manchester office but we work closely with colleagues across all our offices. We cover a range of commercial work across our public and private sector customer base and the corresponding supplier and distribution network.
Success. The Softcat Way.
It's an exciting time to be at Softcat, one of the UK's most successful technology solutions businesses. We help customers to use technology to succeed, by putting our employees first. We've reached the £1 billion+ pa revenue milestone, opened our first office outside the UK and picked up a series of industry awards. We've got even bigger plans for the future. So, if you share our drive and ambition, get ready to achieve more from your career.
Be part of our Legal team
You'll have a proven background in providing advice on, and the negotiation of, customer and supplier contracts, ideally in the IT industry and with experience of working in the public sector (although applicants from other backgrounds with solid commercial experience will not be rejected on that basis).
You'll be experienced in working within a small team without the resources of a private practice lawyer, or confident enough to work on this basis. You will be supervised by our Senior Legal Counsel | Public Sector with additional support and training from our Public Sector Paralegal and General Counsel but will need to be able to work with a degree of independence. You'll also need to be able to work flexibly and effectively to manage a varied workload and respond to changing priorities.
As Public Sector Paralegal, you'll be responsible for:
- Advising on framework terms
- Creating bespoke contracts where required e.g. referral agreements
- Delivering contract and mandatory regulatory training to account managers and the partner alliances team
- Providing ad hoc legal advice e.g. termination of contracts
- Supporting the development of our precedents and process improvements
What we need from you
- Legal training (law degree/GDL and LPC or equivalent e.g. working towards CILEX qualification)
- Experience of working with commercial contracts, including drafting, preparation, review and amendment; conducting negotiations; and advising on the effect of legal provisions
- Sound technical understanding of contract and tort law
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Confidence to work independently on own caseload and ability to work under pressure
Work in a way that works for you
We recognise that everyone is different and that the way in which people want to work and deliver at their best is different for everyone too. In this role, we can offer the following flexible working patterns:
- Hybrid working –2 days in the Manchester office and 3 days working from home
- Working flexible hours - flexing the times you start and finish during the day
- Flexibility around school pick up and drop offs
Working with us
Wherever you work, we want you to experience the freedom and autonomy to realise your potential. You will feel supported by a team that celebrates individuality, encourages different perspectives, and embraces every background.
To become part of the success story, please apply now
As part of our commitment to supporting, attracting and retaining the best diverse talent, Softcat is proud to partner with organisations like WORK180, My G Work and Black Young Professionals. Work 180 endorse employers that demonstrate on-going support for women at work, including offering benefits and policies that best support female employees. My G Work support us in our aim of attracting more LGBTQ+ talent. The BYP network support us in diversifying our talent pool by tapping into the black professional community.