Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Southeastern Railway are recruiting a Station Manager to manage all Commercial staff on a day-to-day basis at a defined station(s) to provide a thriving sales environment, excellent customer service, safe stations, efficient train service performance and accurate and timely information for customers.
Ensuring visible presence to staff and customers and also including, but not limited to, presence on the platforms, concourse, gateline or in the booking hall during the weekday morning and evening peaks.
The position of Station Manager will involve but is not limited to the following duties:
- Direct daily working arrangements, ensuring that all station staff are fully equipped and competent to undertake their roles.
- Manage the internal controls associated with ticket office procedures and delegated authorities ensuring compliance and taking corrective action.
- Ensure that current legislation and the requirements of the Safety Manual is complied with and understood at all levels including contractor activities on stations premises.
- Implement communication plans to ensure customers are always informed about current performance and any delays.
- With direction from the Area Manager ensure that all training needs of staff are identified and delivered in accordance with a properly constructed Action/Improvement Plan.
- Ensure efficient operation of the retailing activity by maintaining trained competent and motivated sales force, complying with customer service and ATOC standards and actively seeking ways of maximising sales and revenue protection.
- Lead and direct all station activity in connection with trains service delivery and performance about the management of delay and attribution of lost minutes and the prevention of cancellations.
- Ensure all staff that undertake safety critical duties are assessed and proved competent at the prescribed intervals as set down in the Company Safety Management System.
- Monitor and carry out split/attach and despatch duties as required.
- Ensure the production of timely roster that are cost effective and compliant with all policies relating to working time regulations and Hidden 18.
- Ensure compliance to company Service Quality Standards.
- Work with Trade Unions to develop effective working relationships
This is what some of our existing Station Managers have to say....
“I handle the day-to-day issues like rostering, staffing, safety, team development, managing customer expectations, delivering IIP, improving revenue flows and maintaining a punctual service. The job’s 30% operational, 70% directional. Our aim is cleaner stations, more punctual trains and shorter queues.”
“As well as the more structured days, Station Managers spend part of their time 'on call', which suits me as it means no one day is the same as another.”
“As the ‘bridge’ between senior management and station staff, you must be a good communicator who sees the big picture and respects the small ones. It’s about gauging situations, being consistent and engaging openly with people. I’m never bored and get excellent direction from above, with lots of freedom and power to deliver.”
The role is mainly Monday - Friday, but weekend work may be required for certain events and for on-call requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for applications from experienced managers who can demonstrate ambition and a passion for leading and motivating teams.
To excel in your role, you will need:
- Proven track record of line management experience, ideally from a retail background.
- People focussed with ability to motivate and empower others in order to reach organisational goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experienced negotiator.
- Innovative and creative, highly motivated.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations.
- Good understanding of commercial awareness and exploits opportunities to add value.
- A flexible approach to working and able to adapt to changing demands and conditions.
- Proven success in meeting demanding budgetary and workforce productivity targets.
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 25 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Private healthcare
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
About the Company
Southeastern runs train services into London from Kent and East Sussex, operating almost 1,700 trains a day, carrying more than 400,000 passengers, serving 176 stations and covering 540 miles of track.
Just over 4,600 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
We have also won the Top Employer award at the Women in Rail Awards 2022!
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
SOUTHEASTERN is owned by SE Trains Ltd, a subsidiary of the Department for Transport’s public sector owning group, ‘DOHL.’ DOHL has responsibility for three rail companies, LNER, Northern Trains Limited and SE Trains.
SE Trains Limited