Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Significant business change is planned across Southeastern. Major programmes and business transformation programmes are those which require delivery across the organisation. Current examples include the introduction of new rolling stock, the roll out of new ticketing schemes, station upgrades, new technology and back office software, and modifications of existing rolling stock.
The purpose of the Programme Manager is to oversee delivery of a group of interlinked projects and activities to ensure that they are delivered successfully, on time, on budget and to quality. The role is responsible for supporting delivery at a strategic level, administering governance across the programme, managing resource, identifying and setting up new projects, and ensuring products are handed back to the business successfully.
The Programme Manager should ensure change is managed effectively with all stakeholders internally and externally, and that changes delivered by projects are managed successfully around the day to day operations of the business.
SE Trains has accomplished significant change in 2022, as demonstrated in our highlights reel below - if you want to be apart of our industries change please do not hesitate to apply.
- Lead projects or programmes assigned, to ensure successful delivery safely, on time, to quality and on budget;
- Provide a clear vision and team direction to Project Managers, aiming to create a high performing team through effective management, development and empowerment;
- Establish and maintain good, professional and proactive relationships with internal and external senior stakeholders, including suppliers and the project sponsor;
- Oversee effective delivery of individual projects, providing first line assurance to project managers, resolving issues as appropriate and escalating delivery risks to the Head of Major Programmes;
- Manage interdependencies between key projects in the programme, ensuring programme benefits are met, and maintaining good understanding the wider strategic context of the programme;
- Ensure the development and upkeep of key project management documentation across the programme, including but not limited to, project plans, cost plans, risk registers, scope and requirements;
- Ensure adherence to Southeastern project governance processes, including project reporting and change control. Manage the governance processes as appropriate for the assigned programme.
- Ensuring all projects are delivered safely, in line with all health and safety regulation;
- Hold regular team meetings and role model best practice behaviours;
- Identify resources needed to complete activities across the programme, proactively managing conflicts and identifying efficiencies where applicable;
- Ensure the project is managed throughout its lifecycle. Lead in the development of the delivery and procurement options, and ensure project deliverables are returned back to the business with clear operational and maintenance procedures.
- Identify the key strategic decisions required across the projects and programmes assigned, ensuring options are assessed fully with the support of stakeholders, and signed off at the appropriate level.
- Assist and champion the development and upkeep of the Southeastern Project Management Framework, striving for efficient and effective best practice processes, tools and systems.
- Deputise for the Head of Major Programmes as appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for this role we recommend you demonstrate the below in your application;
- Formal project or programme qualification or accreditation (PRINCE2, APM foundation or practitioner) and a practical understanding of project management principles, tools and techniques
- Demonstratable evidence of previous successful project delivery
- Experience in management and leadership of a matrix team
- Degree educated or with equivalent experience
- Experience of working in a train operating company, or similar environment
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 25 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Private healthcare
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
Hear why SE Trains is a fantastic place to work from our colleagues across the business.
About the Company
The standard blurb…
Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000* passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,500 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
Southeastern are proud to work with some fantastic organisations and our recent accreditations are part of our journey to becoming an even better place to work. We continue to work across the industry and forge closer working with Network Rail
*now nearer 470,000 …. The pandemic continues to affect how we all work and travel!
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds
We are going to do this recruitment a bit differently. We are going to involve our colleagues in your interview. The final stage will involve a presentation or a challenge for you to address. Whether you have worked in rail all your life or you want to come and see what it is about we want to hear from you. We want a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve and for you to meet our people as part of the process.
What you should really know about working at Southeastern
Winner of Rail Business of the Year 2023 as well as being highly commended in both the Diversity and Inclusion and the Wellbeing in Rail categories
Ranked as part of the 5% club in the Apprenticeships Top 100 Employees 2022. The country’s most outstanding apprenticeship employers for 2022 were recognised for their vital work boosting career opportunities for more people
Currently seeking assessment against the Investors in People ‘We Invest in Apprentices’ accreditation and already hold Gold accreditation against the other two IiP Standards: We Invest in People and We invest in Wellbeing
Financial Times Diversity Leaders ranking for 2023 comprising 850 companies across Europe seen to do more than just talk about their commitment to diversity and inclusion taking action to promote change and create an inclusive environment
Named in The Sun's Top 8 menopause-friendly employers (in 2022)
Won the Women in Rail Top Employer award in both 2020 and 2022.
SE Trains Limited