Job Type: Full time
What is the job about?
This is an excellent opportunity to join the recruitment team on a Fixed Term Contract (12 to 24 months) and to play a pivotal role in the recruitment and selection of staff across the business, but with a focus on Train Service recruitment, including Train Drivers.
This is a varied role, where you will be screening candidates, running assessment centres, attending career fairs, arranging interviews and when required, being part of interview panels as well being responsible for all pre-employment checks and the issuing of contracts.
Where will I work?
This is a hybrid role where you will have the flexibility to work remotely. However, there will be a requirement to attend the Tonbridge based office 2-3 days a week to conduct assessments with the potential of travelling the network to assist with interview panels. You will also be attending career fairs throughout Kent.
Your responsibilities in this role will include:
- Recruiting and selecting the best people who reflect our values and will continue to make Southeastern a successful business as well taking responsibility for allocated internal and external recruitment campaigns.
- Being responsible for conducting assessment centres using psychometric tests, interpersonal skills analysis, safety related tests and interviews and interpreting and deciding on assessment centre results as well as giving meaningful feedback to candidates undergoing testing.
- Producing candidate profiles and feedback reports for recruiting managers, ensuring a clear understanding of candidate status and ensuring all internal candidates receive appropriate feedback and that all candidates have an excellent experience.
- Delivering in-house recruitment and selection training, ensuring managers are competent and confident to make selection decisions as well as evaluating the success of the workshops.
- Participating and attending recruitment activities i.e. job fairs, recruitment days and seminars as appropriate.
- Supporting on selection interviews for both internal and external candidates, ensuring that recruiting managers are complying with best practice techniques as well as identifying skills gaps with recruiting managers and coaching and making recommendations for improvements as required.
- Complying with HR policies and procedures relating to recruitment & selection.
- Issuing contracts of employment, coordinating the arrangements for new entrant inductions and ensuring that all new entrant paperwork is completed and correct with particular attention to “right to work in the UK” status.
- Working with recruiting managers, developing, reviewing and enhancing the structured interviewing templates to ensure they always identify the appropriate competencies and attract the best people for the job.
The Ideal Candidate
Is it for me?
Are you organised and a confident individual who is able to work under your own initiative and to tight deadlines? Do you have the confidence to present to large groups of people and are you able to influence colleagues of all levels, including that of senior management.
Then this could be the job for you!
Do I need railway experience?
NO! Experience within recruitment would be beneficial, but we are looking for passionate, motivated, organised individuals that can showcase their ability to work to tight deadlines and are able to talk to and influence people at all levels.
Skills, experience and Knowledge:
- Must be able to critically evaluate behaviours and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of best practice and legislation relating to Recruitment & Assessment techniques.
- Must be able to show or be willing to learn the required knowledge of Home Office guidelines for preventing illegal working.
- Must have a high standard of communication, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, including managers, to explain complex information.
- Must have excellent level of IT proficiency, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must have experience of working to tight deadlines and the ability to work well under pressure with little supervision, prioritising appropriately and pro-actively.
- Be able to work independently and achieve individual goals, coupled with excellent team working skills and flexibility in approach to work.
- Have a good awareness of the broader impact of potentially sensitive information and the ability to deal with it appropriately and responsibly.
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 25 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Private healthcare
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
About the Company
Southeastern runs train services into London from Kent and East Sussex, operating almost 1,700 trains a day, carrying more than 400,000 passengers, serving 176 stations and covering 540 miles of track.
Just over 4,600 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
We have also won the Top Employer award at the Women in Rail Awards 2022!
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
SOUTHEASTERN is owned by SE Trains Ltd, a subsidiary of the Department for Transport’s public sector owning group, ‘DOHL.’ DOHL has responsibility for three rail companies, LNER, Northern Trains Limited and SE Trains.
SE Trains Limited