Location: Aberdeen City, Dundee City Council, Highland Council, Perth and Kinross, Shetland Islands
Job Type: Full time
About the Role
Base Location: Dundee / Perth / Inverness / Caithness / Aberdeenshire / Argyll / Shetland
Salary: Up to £63,643 depending on knowledge and experience + car /car allowance + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time
As a Transmission Operations Engineer your key responsibilities will be:
- Co-ordinating, managing & the safe, effective & efficient delivery of work activities on our transmission network assets, reporting directly to the Lead Operations Engineer.
- Planning, scheduling, resourcing, successful delivery and reporting of inspection & maintenance activities.
- Represent Operations interests and assist in capital project delivery, ensuring safe and effective delivery of new assets substations, cables and overhead lines.
- You will carry out electrical outage management, manage safety from the system and setting to work on a number of different asset types, such as substation plant, underground cables and overhead lines.
- All scheduled and emergency activities i.e. response and rectification of system faults shall be carried out to the latest internal policy and procedures, this will also require understanding of our statutory requirements and the ability to interpret and action manufacturer instruction.
- Safety is the key priority at SSEN Transmission, you should be a strong leader who sets and maintains high standards, promote a safe working environment and culture throughout the team, and be comfortable in challenging any unsafe behaviours or attitudes, you will engage with them positively about safety.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A minimum HNC or working towards, equivalent experience will also be considered.
- Knowledge of transmission networks, overhead lines, cables and substation equipment would be beneficial but transferrable core skills will also be considered, e.g. distribution, industrial HV networks.
- Willingness to work towards Switching/SAP authorisation (preferably up to 400kV or working towards).
- Understanding of health and safety legislation, including a working knowledge of CDM Regulations.
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities.
- You must be adaptable, self-motivated and flexible enough to work away from base location and a full driver's licence is required.
- Please note applications will also be considered from electrical engineers from other sectors with less specific experience, with a starting salary commensurate with experience levels. Training and development will be provided to ensure continuous progress.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com / 01738 344049.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.