Senior Town Planning Specialist
Location: Aberdeen City, Highland Council, Perth and Kinross, Renfrewshire
Job Type: Full time
Job Title: Senior Town Planning Specialist
Base Location: Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, or Inverness
Salary: £45,400 - £68,200 per annum + car / allowance + + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances, and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
Due to our continued growth, an exciting new opportunity has arisen for an experienced Senior Town Planner to join our team, based from any of our regional offices- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, or Inverness. You will help shape the Transmission business consenting strategy and play a central role in our Green Strategy.
We are seeking career focused and highly motivated applicants to manage an experienced team of Chartered Town Planners. You will work with a high level of autonomy with the benefit of experienced support and guidance where required.
As a mass transporter of renewable energy, we have a major role to play in supporting delivery of Scotland and the UK’s 2030 net zero targets, connecting new onshore and offshore renewables generation and transporting the power generated to demand centres in the rest of Scotland and beyond.
In addition to working on critical national infrastructure projects, you will also join a multi-award winning team (and this year shortlisted for the RTPI “In-house Planning Team of the Year”) recognised for our sector leading planning and sustainability initiatives.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Lead, develop and motivate a knowledgeable team of Town Planners, driving the development of robust consenting strategies and finding solutions to overcome challenging consenting issues
Acting as a lead subject matter expert on spatial planning matters, providing guidance, training and support to ensure consistency on planning matters.
- Provision of specialist support and advice to the team of town planners and project teams delivering complex planning and s37 consents aligning business level commitments and procedures to maximise efficiency, value and consistency.
- Taking a lead role to build and foster excellent relationships with government, statutory bodies and industry specialists across the UK to ensure Transmission is at the forefront of advances in Town Planning best practice and has the information and tools to inform priorities.
- Effectively represent Transmission’s interests in government and industry forums/working groups to support the practical development and implementation of national planning policies, frameworks, and statutory guidance. Including representing the business at open hearings and calls for evidence.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to:
- Be Educated to Degree Level and be a chartered member of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
- Have an in-depth, detailed knowledge of the Scottish planning process, consenting regimes and environmental impact assessment (EIA) legislation.
- Be solution focused and an enthusiastic/positive communicator. You should have excellent communication skills, being able to articulate complex spatial planning issues to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Have a willingness to lead, mentor and support the development of the team, and have the resilience to adapt at pace, dealing with challenges and opportunities across an extensive workload. Innovation and new ideas are welcomed where they can add value and improve the consenting approach and will be rewarded with good opportunities for long term career progressions within this key sector.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 342963.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.