Senior Hydrogen Technology Engineer
Location: Aberdeen City, County Dublin, Greater London, Perth and Kinross, Reading, Renfrewshire, West Yorkshire
Job Type: Full time
The Hydrogen Technology team has a unique role to play within the Hydrogen Centre of Excellence. We ensure SSE is an informed developer and operator of hydrogen production, storage and thermal generation plant, and other technologies that will provide the flexibility the energy system requires as we transition to Net Zero. The team provide specific technology expertise and coordinate wider engineering technical expertise to ensure robust assessment of technologies and design options are undertaken, design risk is mitigated, and project business case requirements are fulfilled.
Our current hydrogen projects include 'first of a kind' gigawatt scale hydrogen production production facilities, hydrogen storage (including in salt caverns), hydrogen conversion to alternative hydrogen carriers and fuels, and hydrogen end use (predominantly in SSE Thermal gas turbines but also distribution to other users).
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based at one of our key sites, which includes: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Perth, London, Leeds, Dublin and Reading | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception.
Salary: circa £68,000 + Performance-Related Bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Flexible First options available
The Senior Hydrogen Technology Engineer will report to the Hydrogen Technology Manager and will lead the 'technology' angle of SSE hydrogen projects. This includes working with our Business Development colleagues at Project Inception to develop project concepts, technology options, design options and secure sources of funding for projects. As project design definition increases, you will work closely with the Project Engineering and our internal discipline specialist teams to ensure that technical and SHE risks related to hydrogen technologies are well understood and mitigated.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead research and innovation programs related to power-to-hydrogen, to deliver new and innovative solutions for future projects (onshore and offshore in the UK and abroad). This will include conducting technology optioneering studies, cost benefit analyses and technology due diligence where applicable, to advise both project and business development teams.
- Lead early-stage design development activities of hydrogen related projects. This typically includes Project Scoping, Funding Submissions, Technology Assessments, Optioneering, Site Feasibility, Hazard Studies, and Concept Design.
- Lead technology qualification related activities that aim to manage the risk of deploying novel hydrogen technologies across the full lifecycle of SSE's hydrogen projects.
- Deliver technical insight and work packages to Business Development and Strategy teams to support the early-stage project developments and SSE external engagements.
- Horizon scan and knowledge management related to new hydrogen technologies and projects, to ensure SSE is an informed developer of hydrogen projects.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Chartered engineer with strong core technical knowledge with an ability to understand multi-discipline engineering, project management principles and interactions between technical and commercial factors.
- Technical discipline experience relevant to hydrogen and/ or thermal power technologies with demonstrable experience of integrating and managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders, third party contractors and external bodies.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to lead optioneering and decision-making workshops, communicate hydrogen technology related knowledge with colleagues, and represent SSE at UK and international conferences.
- Ability to build, maintain and influence effective relationships freely and collaboratively, both internally and externally, with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience in managing high performance multi discipline teams across diverse locations.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and we'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on email@example.com / 01738 341147.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.