Senior Project Manager
Location: County Dublin, Edinburgh, Perth and Kinross, Reading, Renfrewshire, West Yorkshire
Job Type: Full time
About our Business
SSE Thermal is on a mission to deliver the flexible energy needed today while powering the transition to net zero. Our 600+ employees play a crucial role in keeping the lights on across the UK and Ireland and we're rising to the low-carbon challenge with our teams at the cutting-edge of vital technologies. We're developing ground-breaking carbon capture and storage projects and progressing plans for what could be the world's first hydrogen-fired power station, as well as a major hydrogen storage facility and exploring other exciting options as we decarbonise. We've already achieved a lot - but we're just getting started. As part of SSE, which is investing £24bn this decade, we're at the forefront of the energy transition - so come join us as we continue to grow and power change.
To find out more, read this blog from Catherine Raw, our Managing Director, on our critical role in delivering net zero.
About the Role
Base Location: Glasgow / Perth / Edinburgh / Dublin / Reading / Leeds / other locations will be considered. We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSE offices or depots around the UK and Ireland.
Salary: £53,100 - £79,700 + car / car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSE Thermal is leading the way in developing low carbon flexible thermal generation assets, which will be essential for the transition to a net zero electricity system by 2035. We embrace an innovative and inclusive culture and operate a flexible generation fleet that can respond quickly to market changes.
We are currently recruiting for Senior Project Development Managers to lead our low carbon pipeline of post combustion CCS and Hydrogen projects, which are currently in the early stages of development. Some of the projects are being developed in partnership with other developers and will require the ability to manage across organisations. The projects cover a range of technologies, including gas turbines with post combustion CCS, hydrogen gas turbines, hydrogen storage and electrolysis. All are significant in scale of investment and ambition, involving new technologies, emerging industries and investments in the hundred of millions of pounds.
- Actively develop a culture of health and safety across the function ensuring all teams (internal SSE and external contractors) understand what is expected.
- Lead and motivate a large multidiscipline project team to achieve development goals and milestones from project concept to FID. Have the ability to readily influence all stakeholders both internally and externally through all stages of project development, including engagements with Government, negotiations with contractors and the preparation and submission of planning consents, including DCOs.
- Ensuring all key contracts are negotiated and executable.
- Ensuring revenues are secured through various revenue streams to underpin the investment.
- Bringing drive and focus to the project to ensure the deadlines are met across the consenting, design, procurement and internal governance system.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Degree qualified with significant experience of large infrastructure projects.
- Experience in risk management, with ability to clearly articulate key project delivery risks.
- Experienced in large capital infrastructure project management, through all stages of development, and preferably in the energy sector.
- Experience and knowledge of gas turbine power generation, gas storage, or hydrogen value chain.
- Experience of working within government processes and procedures.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on email@example.com / 01738 341147.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.