Senior Hydrogen Project Engineer
Location: Aberdeen City, County Dublin, Greater London, Perth and Kinross, Reading, Renfrewshire, West Yorkshire
Job Type: Full time
The Hydrogen Project Engineering team has a unique role to play within the Hydrogen Centre of Excellence. We ensure SSE is an informed developer and operator of hydrogen production, storage and thermal generation plant, and other technologies that will provide the flexibility the energy system requires as we transition to Net Zero.
The team provide the supervision and governance of engineering design contractors to ensure robust development of our projects, design risks are mitigated, and the project business case requirements are fulfilled.
Our current hydrogen projects include 'first of a kind' gigawatt scale blue and green hydrogen production facilities, hydrogen storage (including in salt caverns), hydrogen conversion to alternative hydrogen carriers and fuels, and hydrogen end use (predominantly in SSE Thermal gas turbines but also distribution to other users).
About the Role
Base Location: London, Leeds, Reading, Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen or Dublin
Salary: circa £68,000 + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family + potential for car / cash allowance.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As a Senior Engineer within Thermal Engineering and Asset Management (TEAM), you will be responsible for leading project design delivery and execution activities on one or more of our challenging and exciting Hydrogen Thermal Large Capital Projects. You will develop and lead design development and execution strategies appropriate to the specific projects. You will ensure the effective coordination of internal and external engineering resources throughout the project.
- Lead the project engineering activities on large capital projects during development or construction phases to deliver Thermal Engineering & Asset Management's (TEAM) Design Authority role and responsibilities.
- Manage engineering design budgets within Large Capital Projects in excess of £1m per project.
- Report progress, risks and issues to the Design & Delivery Manager plus other relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and manage the Design Management Plan and ensure the design development or construction engineering strategy and activities are in compliance with corporate governance.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience in the design development and delivery of high value Thermal Generation projects, experience in the design of blue hydrogen or oil and gas projects would be advantageous.
- Chartered Engineer status via a relevant institution, and membership of Engineering Council.
- Ability to organise staff both within the project design development or construction engineering team and through an engineering matrix management structure to ensure delivery against project requirements and timescales.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with effective communication and reporting skills at all management levels and high pressure situations involved with project management environments.
- High organisational capabilities to deliver quality work to the agreed timescales.
- Understanding of the commercial context and implications of engineering activities and decisions.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on email@example.com or 01738 341147.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.