Principal Engineer Offshore Installations
Location: Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire, Aberdeenshire, Angus Council, Angus Council, Argyll and Bute Council, Argyll and Bute Council, Argyll and Bute Council, Belfast, Berkshire, Derry, Dorset, Dundee City Council, East Riding of Yorkshire, Edinburgh, England, England, Greater London, Greater Manchester, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Highland Council, Highland Council, Highland Council, Highland Council, Highland Council, Highland Council, Isle of Wight, Medway, Merseyside, Moray, Na h-Eileanan an Iar, Na h-Eileanan an Iar, Norfolk, North Lincolnshire, Northern Ireland, Orkney, Oxfordshire, Perth and Kinross, Portsmouth, Reading, Renfrewshire, Shetland Islands, Shetland Islands, Somerset, South Ayrshire Council, South Lanarkshire, Suffolk, Surrey, Surrey, Surrey, Swindon, Tyne and Wear, Tyne and Wear, Tyne and Wear, West Midlands, West Yorkshire, Wiltshire, Wiltshire
Job Type: Full time
About the role
Base Location: Flexible UK | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'office' location to be one of our SSEN offices or depots around Scotland. Base Office: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth
Salary: £53,100 to £79,700 (salary negotiable depending on experience) + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSEN Transmission has an opportunity for an Offshore Installation Principal Engineer to join our Policy & Standards Team to support the technical governance of large offshore high voltage transmission projects, e.g. offshore HVDC and HVAC substations.
The Policy and Standards Team are part of the Asset Management and Operations Directorate and are the Design and Technical Engineering Governance function for the Transmission Business. Their purpose is to ensure that suitable engineering guidance and specifications are in place for all Transmission projects and relevant business areas and that the design of the network and the equipment used ensures we operate safely, reliably and in compliance with the relevant legislation.
As the Principal Engineer – Offshore Installations, you will;
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications and guidance notes required for all Offshore Platform Installations used on the Transmission network and review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects and to include development of technology.
- As part of the Technical Authority, review installation method statements, risk assessments, etc. in relation to installation offshore platforms to ensure that all installations are suitable to be approved for use on the transmission network.
- Provide Subject Matter Expert input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority and provide specialist input where required and verify project proposals are fit for purpose and identify any scope changes required.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the transmission business for HVAC or HVDC offshore platform installations, their maintenance, replacement and repair.
- Represent SSEN Transmission at industry body events such as IEC or CIGRE working groups and attend conferences.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Marine/Civil Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience on an expert level in the design, construction, installation, and maintenance of offshore platform installations.
- The ability and experience to technically assess issues, problems and/or faults related to offshore platform installations alongside an in depth understanding of the technical requirements for operation and maintenance of offshore platform installations.
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of national and international standards alongside the capability and experience in writing technical specifications, guidance notes and work instructions for offshore platform installations.
- Strong organizational and management skills, including effective workload management and working with multi-disciplinary teams.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 344049.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.