Site Construction Manager (Electrical)
Location: Aberdeen City, Highland Council, Perth and Kinross, Renfrewshire
Job Type: Full time
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible Scotland, however our preference is that you will be based from one of our key Scotland sites such as Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness. Travel to the construction sites, and on-site presence is required 5 days a week.
Salary: c£60,000 depending on experience + company car / cash allowance + performance-related bonus + range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | On Site
SSEN Transmission projects involve the construction and energisation of 132/275/400 kV air-insulated/gas-insulated switchgear, and other high-voltage AC equipment such as transformers, reactors, cables, and reactive compensation devices. These projects are being delivered in the north of Scotland and provide an exciting opportunity to work with the latest technologies that are pushing forward the operational capabilities of our network.
SSEN Transmission has an opportunity for a Site Construction Manager experienced in managing and overseeing the installation, testing, and commissioning of high-voltage AC substations.
The role requires a full, current driving license due to the requirement to be on-site five days a week.
The key duties & responsibilities will be:
- To support the Project Manager in delivering the programme of works, particularly concerning statutory and legal obligations, health and safety, Construction (Design and Management) Regulations, quality and technical compliance, personnel, and industrial relations.
- Develop an effective, close working relationship with the appointed contractor(s) and the internal stakeholders such as operations team to ensure that the works are delivered safely on time and to the highest quality.
- Key deliverables include knowledge and experience in AIS/GIS assembly and switchgear installation, transformer, reactors, STATCOM and cables installation, commissioning, earthing, building supplies, and busbar installation and commissioning activities.
- Ensure that strong relationships are developed with contractors, suppliers, and the communities to ensure that all site activities comply with consents and programme delivery aligns with SSEN environmental goals.
- Have a clear understanding of safety management systems, best SHE practices, and be eager to develop/learn about SSE Large Capital Projects Governance processes. It is also important that the Site Construction Manager leads the site teams in alignment with the SSE Safety Culture and demonstrates SSE core leadership values.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Demonstrated previous experience working on-site in the construction and commissioning of AIS/GIS and associated HV plant and equipment within a high voltage substation electrical environment.
- A good understanding of applicable health and safety legislation, including CDM Regulations 2015, ideally within a substation construction environment.
- Experience in working with multiple contractors, subcontractors, equipment manufacturers, etc., to drive construction activities to meet time and budget constraints.
- Previous site construction management experience within Transmission or major structural and technical complex projects, with an unwavering commitment to achieving quality requirements. Additionally, experience in monitoring inspection and test plans is essential. You should be capable of leading, challenging others, resolving conflicts, and planning site activities.
- Strong IT skills (Word, Excel, etc.) and effective communication skills are required.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Shirley-Anne on Shirley-Anne.O'Connor@sse.com / 01738 351976.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal record and credit check.