Associate Scientist, Cell Engineering
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
Are you looking to join a growing business? Could you be part of a global team focused on developing a dynamic product range? If the answer is yes, read on!
Abcam is experiencing exciting new growth and expanding product development for our cell lines portfolio. Joining our Cell Lines team would allow you to be a part of building the tools/workflows needed to provide critical research reagents to customers at a global scale, backed by Abcam’s industry-leading high standards for product validation.
We are seeking an Associate Scientist to join our team in Waltham, MA to support optimization and implementation of a high throughput workflow for cell line generation. This unique and exciting role within Abcam seeks to push the boundaries of laboratory automation to perform complex molecular biology techniques at industry scale, backed by a brand-new team. This is a laboratory-based role.
Your role will include:
- Use cutting-edge CRISPR-Cas9/genome editing technologies, liquid handlers/automation, robotics, scheduling software, high throughput microscopy, high throughput next generation sequencing (NGS), etc. to generate and validate a variety of edited cell lines
- Work with various cell lines (mammalian cancer cell lines, primary cells, iPSC cells of varying tissue origins including immune and neurological)
- Generation and validation of CRISPR-modified cell lines
- Apply a combination of cell biology, molecular biology, and NGS sequencing analysis/bioinformatics techniques while obtaining practical experience in high throughput/automation pipeline/workflow development, global product development/expansion, and development of expertise in cell line engineering across a broad away of cellular models/therapeutic modalities (immuno-oncology, cancer, neuroscience, etc.)
You will have a PhD or MS in biology/genetics/engineering/related discipline with 0+ or 2+ years of relevant industry experience respectively.
You will have knowledge and experience with CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing for cell line production and cell line validation including direct experience with DNA extraction, PCR, amplicon barcoding, library prep, library QC – tape station and qPCR, pooled NGS sequencing – Illumina miSeq, NGS data analysis. You will also have experience operating cell culture and/or molecular biology automation workflows including the use of liquid handler (Tecan), cell sorters for single cell cloning, high content imagers, robotic arms, and scheduling software to integrate workflows.
You will have strong experimental skills and a talent for automating experimental data and workflows, as well as an interest in process/workflow improvement. You are a team player with great communication and have the ability to work effectively across multiple disciplines and cultures.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased holiday allowance over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.
Effective January 1, 2022, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Abcam. Employees with a sincerely held religious belief and/or disability impacting their ability to obtain the COVID vaccine can request a reasonable accommodation.