Facilities and EHS Manager
Location: Branford, Connecticut
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
Our site in Branford is one of 5 across the US and has a team of nearly 40 colleagues working in a space comprising both office (around 7,000 sq ft) and laboratories (around 6,000 sq ft) with around 1,500 sq ft of logistics space. We have a new opportunity for a dedicated Facilities and EHS Manager to support in the delivery of both a great space to work and a safe environment to continue our mission to help life scientists across the globe.
Key responsibilities are:
- Maintenance and upkeep (e.g calibrations and certifications) of all our laboratory and office areas and equipment; scheduling, recording and signing off work
- Manage the workplace (lab and office budget) to ensure we're spending Abcam's money wisely to invest in our growth, working with procurement to negotiate maintenance and service contracts.
- Oversee laboratory equipment purchases, including price negotiation, purchasing, and installation
- Support all aspects of the general lab organization, including implementation of programs, not limited to KanBan and Lean Six Sigma
- Manage the lab a consistent and high standard of partnership with the scientific teams, to ensure everyone can focus on doing their best work
- This position is also the EHS site lead. This person will partner closely with other team members within the global facilities, safety and QA teams.
- Oversee laboratory safety including biological and chemical safety, enforcing safety policies, managing risk, carrying out inspections and ensuring laboratory safety rules are adhered to
- Along with the site leadership team, act as a main point of contact for alarm triggers, refrigeration monitoring, maintenance issues and emergencies, using and supervising all monitoring systems
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal EH&S regulations (OSHA, EPA, etc.), as well as Abcam’s Global Safety Standards
- Build strong relationships and work with our landlords, partners and workplace vendors, such as cleaning crew, waste management, security & fire management
You are degree educated with at least a years experience within an academic or industrial laboratory. You have an understanding of service contracts, and experience of scheduling preventative maintenance appointments. You are a team player and also comfortable working on your own. You will have supervisory experience as you will have an assistant in this role. You are able to multi-task, setting priorities effectively to produce quality work in a fast-paced professional environment It goes without saying that you are proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook and able to keep up with change and ambiguity. If you have experience working in a GMP regulated industry, that would be a bonus.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximizing productivity and innovation at work while reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible benefits package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased paid time off accrual over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.
Effective January 1, 2022, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Abcam. Employees with a sincerely held religious belief and/or disability impacting their ability to obtain the COVID vaccine can request a reasonable accommodation.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.