Laboratory Support Specialist
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Job Type: Full time
For over 20 years, Abcam has been providing tools the scientific community needs to enable faster breakthroughs in critical areas like cancer, neurological disorders, infectious diseases, and metabolic disorders.
We believe that to continue making progress, we need to work together in new ways. We need your own unique perspective as well as this of our people to make an always greater impact on the world. This community needs people like you: dedicated, agile and above all audacious so we can truly bring progress forward.
Our Lab Support Specialists are at the heart of supporting our teams to deliver for our customers, faster. They support the site team by ensuring they have all the equipment, supplies and support needed to be at their most productive, all the time, and ensuring our lab workspaces are safe, clean and well maintained. This is an entry level role that reports to the Laboratory Support Manager for the site.
This is a great opportunity for a well-organized individual who has a growth mindset and is willing to learn new things, getting involved in multiple tasks to ensure the smooth running of the site. It may suit someone looking to take their first steps into the world of laboratory support or an individual who loves variety in their role and is a great multitasker, looking to join a fast-growing life sciences company driven by a great purpose.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Inventory management – regularly stock common-use laboratory consumables, PPE and waste receptacles at satellite storage areas to ensure each team is well stocked at any given time
- Equipment – perform daily equipment calibration as needed for pH meters and balances, maintain routine freezer defrost cycles, autoclave maintenance runs, and assist the Lab Support Manager in escorting external vendors for annual equipment calibrations and PMs
- Safety / EHS support – maintain a clean and safe working environment for all site staff via support by establishing and maintaining a schedule for the following tasks:
- Safety equipment checks of eyewash and shower stations and spill kit restock
- Equipment sanitization (bead baths, water baths, incubators, fume hoods and BSCs)
- Ensure appropriate disposal of all waste streams (biohazard, chemical and sharps waste)
- Communicate all safety-related observations to the Lab Support Manager and EHS
- Routine collection, autoclave sterilization and distribution of glassware for all teams on the site
- Routine buffer and media preparation and sterilization (as needed) for all teams on the site
- Support continuous improvement, identifying quicker, smarter and more productive ways of working
- Complete workplace administration tasks and record keeping as needed
- Support with workplace reorganization projects (e.g. lab equipment moves, new lab space setup, etc.)
You will enjoy adapting to a changing environment and have a high attention to detail. You will be able to work effectively in a diverse team towards a common goal. Your organizational and time management skills would have been gained in a fast-paced environment such as retail, hospitality, customer service, warehouse, distribution, logistics, or manufacturing.
You must be able to lift 50lbs (not very often) and this role will involve standing for 60-90% of the time. You must be a confident and effective communicator with both your colleagues and managers. You will have the ability and drive to meet deadlines. You must be educated to high school/GED level, a bonus if you have a bachelor degree.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why, in addition to market competitive salaries, we offer you a flexible benefits package which is tailored to your unique needs and support your financial, physical and emotional wellbeing. This includes our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks fully paid maternity leave, 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave as well as highly flexible working and much more. Besides, your development will be integral to your experience here. You will grow alongside other talented minds, in ways you may often find unexpected.
When people come together, incredible things happen. Here you’ll work in a safe environment where you can be who you truly are. We’ll champion and celebrate your uniqueness throughout your journey with us. This is how we excel at partnering with the scientific community no matter the challenge, ultimately helping solve the world’s most critical diseases. Find out more about Diversity & Inclusion at Abcam.