Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Job Type: Full time
For over 20 years, Abcam has been providing tools the scientific community needs to enable faster breakthroughs in critical areas like cancer, neurological disorders, infectious diseases, and metabolic disorders.
We believe that to continue making progress, we need to work together in new ways. We need your own unique perspective as well as this of our people to make an always greater impact on the world. This community needs people like you: dedicated, agile and above all audacious so we can truly bring progress forward.
Abcam is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Scientist to join our Protein Sciences Group at our Waltham, MA location. As a Scientist, you will play a key role in recombinant protein expression using mammalian and microbial systems. The successful candidate will conduct small-scale protein expression, purification, and biochemical studies to support construct evaluation.
- Design and generate DNA constructs, including plasmid preparation.
- Conduct protein purification using automated (FPLC) equipment, employing various chromatography methods such as affinity, charge, and size-based separations, for proteins with and without tags.
- Analyze proteins using common techniques such as endotoxin, SDS-PAGE, HPLC-SEC, and Mass Spec.
- Independently design, plan, and conduct laboratory experiments to support new product development, while contributing to additional team activities as required.
- Communicate effectively with team members, providing delivery dates, necessary documentation, and presenting clear data to support ongoing and completed work.
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analyze and present experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain high-quality standards within the lab, ensuring compliance with internal and external quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015), and perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting of scientific equipment.
The successful candidate will possess either a Master’s degree with 0-3 years of experience or a Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of experience in disciplines such as biochemistry, bioengineering, or biology. This educational background provides the foundational knowledge necessary for success in the role and ensures a solid understanding of the principles underlying protein science and experimentation.
Candidates with industrial experience in protein purification, particularly those accustomed to generating proteins for multiple projects concurrently, will be highly regarded. Additionally, familiarity with lyophilization processes is considered advantageous. A proven track record of excelling in fast-paced environments demonstrates the ability to adapt and thrive under pressure.
Ideal candidates will exhibit traits of motivation, positivity, and enthusiasm, coupled with strong problem-solving capabilities. A strong work ethic and dedication to delivering the highest quality proteins are essential, alongside excellent communication and organizational skills, which facilitate effective collaboration within the team and across projects.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why, in addition to market competitive salaries, we offer you a flexible benefits package which is tailored to your unique needs and support your financial, physical and emotional wellbeing. This includes 18 weeks fully paid maternity leave, 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave as well as highly flexible working and much more. Besides, your development will be integral to your experience here. You will grow alongside other talented minds, in ways you may often find unexpected.
When people come together, incredible things happen. Here you’ll work in a safe environment where you can be who you truly are. We’ll champion and celebrate your uniqueness throughout your journey with us. This is how we excel at partnering with the scientific community no matter the challenge, ultimately helping solve the world’s most critical diseases. Find out more about Diversity & Inclusion at Abcam.