Dir, PLADS Group Life Actuary
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
Job Type: Full time
Compensation Range: $100,000 - $232,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What will you be doing in this role?
- Strong hands-on leadership and people management skills and extensive background in a wide range of actuarial functions including pricing, reserve valuation, experience & business analysis on Group Life product
- Strong business sense and instincts required to function as a strategic “partner” to senior management team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Education & Experience Required
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics/Statistics or related fields
- Minimum Required 8+ years of actuarial experience in Group Life products, 3+ years leadership experience
- Minimum Required Associate or Fellow of Society of Actuaries (FSA)
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides both leadership and technical strength in Group Life actuarial functions
- Develops pricing strategy and portfolio management initiatives; reviews analysis of experience trends and expenses, initiating action where necessary; recommends further analyses and investigations
- Fosters partnership and sharing of data, ideas, and approaches, among key PLADS functions (underwriting, claim, finance, distribution, and product areas)
- Ensures that products are designed, priced, and managed in a manner consistent with strategic objectives for PLADS
- Develops strong partnership with Underwriting, including ongoing support and communication, to ensure accurate risk assessment and pricing; develops a rigorous experience analysis process and proactively monitor business performance to identify trends and pockets of business where experience either supports growth or requires remediation; presents information to senior management, along with observations, areas of concern and recommendations, and executes on them as part of the ongoing product management of the block
- Coordinates with Finance to develop premium and loss ratio targets for PLADS' operating plan; develops projections and forecasts for planning & monitor actual performance against plan; ensures divisional expense budgets are fully reflected in pricing allowable and challenges segment and product allocations to ensure accuracy and appropriateness
- Supports senior management in developing pricing strategy and portfolio management initiatives
- Develops strong analytical capacity for monitoring experience trends, initiate action where necessary; recommend further analyses and investigations
- Performs other related duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $100,000 to $232,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies, 401(k) plans, and generous paid time off. You’ll also be granted time off for designated paid holidays and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick, adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.