Associate, Quantitative Analyst
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Global Investments located in downtown financial district located at 100 Wall Street, corner of Water Street and is the organization responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac, Inc. With approximately 150 employees in US (New York) and Japan (Tokyo); Aflac’s Global Investments organization seeks to maximize risk-adjusted returns subject to our liability profile and capital requirements and generates in excess of $3.0 billion a year in net investment income. Aflac Global Investments is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac, Inc. As of December 31, 2021, Aflac assets were $149.8 billion with revenues totaling $22.3 billion.
Working as a member of Aflac Global Investments (GI) and the Quantitative Analytic Solutions (QAS) team, work closely with other quantitative analysts, credit and derivatives investment teams along with other front office businesses. Collaborate on the development of quantitative analytic solutions to support the implementation of a large, primarily fixed income, investment strategy. Apply solid knowledge of mathematical finance to a growing, state-of-the-art quantitative platform focused on scenario analysis of current and potential investment strategies.
Reports to: Reports to: Head of Quantitative Analytics – Aflac Quantitative Analytic Solutions
Primary Relationships: Credit Analysts, Credit and Derivatives Traders, Investment Analysts, Investment Risk Management, IT, Operations, Investment Accounting and senior GI leaders
- Contribute to the development and calibration of models concerning:
- Hedging strategies and optimization in FX, IR, Credit, and Equities domains
- Strategic Asset Allocation with both total-return and income lenses
- Economic Scenario Generation and Portfolio Optimization
- Tactical Asset Allocation
- Support capital measurement and regulatory analytics (US and Japan focus) with potential exposure to other regulatory jurisdictions and rating agencies
- Longer-term projects associated with building out key functionality in the platform
- Tactical analysis using existing tools, with immediate impact on business decisions
- Explaining modeling methodology and model results to non-quants within the business
- BS in mathematics, quantitative finance, physics, financial engineering, computer science or other related field; advanced degree a plus
- Minimum of 3 years of direct quantitative or financial experience working in an insurance asset manager, investment bank, asset manager, or similiar financial services firm. Additional internships are welcomed to demonstrate knowledge of quantitative applications to a growing insurance asset manager.
- Direct experience and knowledge of standard quantitative finance models (and stochastic calculus); financial meaning and economic basis of models
- Deep orientation toward probabilistic thinking; Bayesian mindset
- Experience working with fixed income asset classes, intermediate bond math, Vanilla FX/IR derivatives required, experience with private and growth assets welcomed.
- Hands-on programming experience involving large projects, implementation of quantitative models, and intuition for how to write usable, and understandable, code—Python preferred, C++, SQL or similar experience desired as well.
- Knowledge of source control (Git/Github), databases (Snowflake), visualization tools (Plotly/Dash) and Big Data / ML frameworks (Scikit-learn, Apache Spark) is a plus
- Takes ownership of problems and seeks to add value, not just complete assigned tasks
- Systematic thinker who acts to increase, not decrease, the organization and clarity of information
- Seeks conceptual understanding, not just technical precision
- Comfortable with explaining quantitative ideas to non-quants and strives to break-down technical ideas into intuitive, digestible bits
- Intellectual curiosity with the ability to generate and brainstorm ideas with colleagues
- Team player
Schedule: This is a hybrid role and requires a minimum of 3 days in the office each week at our NYC location
The current salary range for this job is $80,000 to $135,000
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies, 401(k) plans, and generous paid time off. You’ll also be granted time off for designated paid holidays and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick, adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.