Tax Accountant III
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $55,000 - $140,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What will you be doing in this role?
- Comprehensive knowledge of Internal Revenue Service code and regulations, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), SEC, Statutory Accounting Principles (SSAP), state insurance department statutes, federal, and other state regulations, with an emphasis on tax accounting
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices of accounting and tax systems user applications (SAP, CCH, BNA software preferred), including input/output processing and complex system concepts, and ability to understand and use computer systems and application tools for analysis
- Experience and proficient in Microsoft Office with intermediate Excel skills
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience performing complex financial analysis and related valuation methodologies, systems and quantitative business-based analysis, metrics, and experimental designs; ability to prepare statistical studies and trend analysis using internal and external information to demonstrate relevant changes and recommend improvements or solutions
- Demonstrated competencies in the areas of consulting, change management, quality, and project management
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree accounting, finance, or a related field
- Five years of professional job-related work experience
- Three years of corporate-level tax accounting experience in an organization of comparable size
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Education & Experience Preferred
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- Insurance industry accounting experience
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Researches technical issues, and interprets and applies laws, regulations, and municipal ordinances; acts in an advisory capacity working with division management and/or designated representatives providing guidance and direction on and clarifying the interpretation of the accounting procedures, policies, and practices of the company and applicable regulatory authorities
- May function as the Information Reporting and Withholding lead for the Tax Department. Provides oversight and coordination for the company’s Form 1099 reporting.
- May function as the Transfer Pricing lead for the Tax Department. Responsible for the preparation of the annual Master and Local Files required for both US and Japan tax compliance.
- Performs duties with minimal direction for independent action and decision-making; interprets and applies laws and regulations; acts in an advisory capacity working with division management and/or delegated representatives providing guidance and direction on, and clarifying the interpretation of, the company’s and regulatory financial and accounting procedures, policies, and practices; assists with the training and development of junior team members
- Collects, organizes, analyzes, and evaluates intermediate/complex financial data and other related information; completes quantitative and qualitative reviews, and prepares required internal and external records, reports, statistics, financial statements, analysis, stockholders’ reports, etc.; develops and presents conclusions and recommendations to management; leads or participates on project teams or committees, assisting with the development and implementation of goals and objectives aimed at enhancing customer service, process improvement, and resource management
- Identifies and resolves accounting and financial transaction discrepancies, and provides detailed explanations for variances between actual and planned activities; maintains complete and accurate regulatory filings; develops, analyzes, and implements accounting procedures in a systems environment in conformance with GAAP, SSAP, SEC, IRS, and other regulatory standards; audits and evaluates systems’ and procedures’ effectiveness, and confirms the consistent application of accounting pronouncements and policies
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with business partners, and state and federal agencies; stays abreast of current trends and regulatory changes in the industry; conducts benchmarking activities with other companies and organizations within and outside the industry, and recommends alternative business practices, procedures, solutions, and strategies based on best practice research; assists senior team members in developing and implementing new applications and analytical models, or enhancing existing systems
- Performs other duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $140,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, at least 10 days of prorated PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.