Vice President, Head of Financial Planning & Analysis - GI
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Asset Management, LLC, (d.b.a. Aflac Global Investments) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac Incorporated (Aflac). Aflac Global Investments (GI) located in New York’s financial district and is the organization responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac, Inc. and subsidiaries in Japan, Bermuda (Aflac Reinsurance), and Aflac Asset Management, LLC. (U.S). With 150 employees globally, GI seeks investments to maximize long-term returns with a focus on preservation of capital, subject to our asset-liability profile and liquidity and capital requirements. GI has primary investment and asset management responsibility for Aflac’s general account consisting of public, private, and growth assets (including strategic partnerships) which generates approximately $3.5 billion a year in net investment income. As of year-end 2022, Aflac’s total general account portfolio was $111 billion.
Within Aflac’s Global Investments, the Vice President, Head of Financial Planning and Analysis works within the Chief Financial Officer team and serves as a business partner by overseeing budgeting, forecasting and expense management for the GI business units. Directs the creation and distribution of accurate and meaningful financial reports for management that provide the data needed to make informed business decisions. Drives the analysis on net investment income (NII), impacts of varying asset allocations, credit gain and losses, and expense management applying forecasting, budget vs. actuals, and other financial duties. Ensures financial procedures and guidelines meet regulatory and operational industry wide best practices. Acts as key partner with all business units within GI to provide key financial information for both investments as well as expense. Collaborates with Aflac Corporate Planning on annual planning processes and inter-company allocations.
Reports to: Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Financial Planning & Analysis - Investments:
- Manages preparation of GI's monthly financial statements, providing key insights into financial performance and financial position of the investments portfolio; forecasting of key investment metrics (scenario based modeling assumptions), stress testing, and multi-factor analysis within emphasis on Investment Accounting (forecast and plan).
- Directs the analysis of data to assist with operational and investment strategic plans; oversees the collection and analysis of data to provide financial support to investment professionals including senior leadership as it relates to investment forecast vs. plan while supporting insurance asset managers focused on multi-strategic portfolio for Japan, Bermuda, and U.S.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationship within GI's Accounting/Finance team; builds and maintains strong trust within the team; provides key business decisions and impacts, and other communication in a timely manner
- Leads the definition and development of a financial measurement framework to gauge progress against and impact of the strategic plan; ensures the team has the appropriate tools to communicate performance to plan and works with division leadership to improve performance in areas that are not meeting targeted performance
- Works with business unit leaders re: “what-if” scenarios for multi-year investment planning for Aflac’s general account investments; net investment income (NII) – across assets and derivatives, gain and losses and other notable economic implications for Japan, Bermuda, and U.S.
- Leads collaboration with GI's internal business partners to set annual plan that aligns to company strategic goals and strategies
- Establishes and maintains relationships with GI's internal investment business units; defines processes that are effective and efficient; identifies best practices; communicates and ensures alignment of strategic efforts; provides key insights to ensure success of the organization
- Participates in post-mortems of investment planning and forecasting processes with business units to identify, prioritize and implement improvements to future planning/forecasting cycles; while aligning to gold plan.
- Monitors the design and effectiveness of internal financial models for the capital/investment financial planning; impact/change analysis against strategic asset allocation, tactical asset allocation or scenario based investment events that adjust from forecast and/or plan. Analysis of difference (gains and losses) and adjust as needed based on markets and business requirements.
- Analyzes the GI operations and implements processes and procedures to streamline activities, handle problem situations, enhance service turnaround time, increase productivity, and improve quality; directs and oversees the workflow of the team and ensures that workflow processes facilitate effective and efficient use of corporate resources and enhance customer satisfaction; ensures the team has the technology and training needed to work efficiently
Financial Planning & Analysis – Expense and Operations:
- Oversees expense management, includes planning, advising, and reviewing budgets for key GI business units; monitors the use of budgeted resources to ensure corporate goals are met, reviews expenditures versus budget, and prepares reports for management that explain variances.
- Collaborates with business partners to set and distribute annual expense targets that align function/division performance to enterprise objectives
- Establishes and maintains formal relationships to assist in identifying and implementing best practices, knowledge resources, and industry standards (both within and outside the company); drives the initiation, development, planning, and implementation of strategic studies; communicates key strategies and competitive insights to the team
- Manages GI Budgeted and Forecasting reporting; provides guidance to business leaders on current spending patterns; advises business leaders on future spending needs
- Evaluates and reviews the monthly allocations to Aflac; partners with Aflac’s Financial Reporting team on any allocation questions and provides solutions; provides insight to GI's leadership on intercompany calculations and impacts to Financials
- Manages GI's Accounting/Finance compliance and regulatory standards; provides documentation on processes and requirements; defines and manages Finance Standard Operating Procedures
- Ad-hoc planning and analysis as needed.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, mathematics, or similar is required. Masters/MBA is preferred; and/or CFA/CAIA/CPA is a plus.
Job Knowledge & Skills:
- Minimum of 8 years of experience working in financial planning and forecasting capacity with a focus on with complex private assets (especially loans experience) and separately managed accounts on a look through basis. Insurance company asset management experience a plus.
- Strong functional skills in financial planning and forecasting, management reporting, data mining/analysis, and data management
- Strong accounting knowledge related to net investment income, realized/unrealized gains and losses, and expenses.
- Superior MS Excel skill set including pivots, vlookups, macros, etc., intermediate ability to work with MS Power Point
- Develops clear goals and execution plan that are consistent with business objectives.
- A self-starter with a passion for problem-solving, willing to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment, comfortable working in a fluid setting with multiple time sensitive priorities, able to identify priorities and appropriately manage time and resources.
- Ability to facilitate compromise between conflicting requirements or points of view
- Demonstrated ability to successfully deliver on projects, including ability to proactively work on solutions with minimal supervision
- Strong client facing, interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) skills along with well-developed presentation techniques. Candidate will work closely with the Aflac investment team, variety of internal stakeholders, and external managers.
- Highly organized with superior attention to detail with an ability to analyze large amount of data and extract meaningful information and identify findings in a succinct format.
- Be able to identify and improve data accuracy and processes used in production of financial, accounting and investment reporting purposes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to present and articulate issues clearly and succinctly to C-suite, variety of internal and external stake holders.
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- A team player with a strong work ethic
The range on this positions is: $100,000 - $232,000
Please note: Aflac Global Investments' hybrid working environment requires a minimum of 3 days in the office
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies, 401(k) plans, and generous paid time off. You’ll also be granted time off for designated paid holidays and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick, adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.