Intern - Global Investments
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Asset Management, LLC, (d.b.a. Aflac Global Investments) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac Incorporated (Aflac). Aflac Global Investments (GI) located in New York’s financial district and is the organization responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac, Inc. and subsidiaries in Japan, Bermuda, and the U.S. With 150 employees globally, GI seeks investments to maximize long-term returns with a focus on preservation of capital, subject to our asset-liability profile and liquidity and capital requirements. GI has primary investment and asset management responsibility for Aflac’s general account consisting of public, private, and growth assets (including strategic partnerships) which generates approximately $3.5 billion a year in net investment income. As of year-end 2022, Aflac’s total general account portfolio was $111 billion.
The investment teams support GI’s overall goals and objectives by providing market insight and in-depth knowledge of assigned asset classes. GI oversees the strategic deployment of capital for life and supplemental health insurance company balance sheets utilizing both internal teams and external third party asset managers. In 2021, Aflac Inc. became a signatory of the Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI), the global framework for incorporating ESG considerations into investment and ownership decisions. As a PRI signatory, Aflac reinforced their continued commitment to seeking ESG friendly investments into their overall SAA.
- The Analyst Summer Internship is an intensive 10-week internship program within investment compliance, a team responsible for administering the investment compliance program at Aflac Global Investments.
- The Intern will gain valuable experience in investment compliance, including exposure to industry, company, financial, portfolio monitoring while using/maintaining large data sets and synthesizing ideas from data, while learning about insurance asset management and the industry.
- The Intern will benefit from virtual exposure to Aflac Global Investments platform with emphasis on fixed income - portfolio management, understanding the life cycle of a trade through investment risk management, trading and operations and the execution of investments across our US and Japan operations.
- The Intern will interact with Senior Management and will present their analytical project(s) to an audience of key stakeholders including other analysts, investment professionals, and Senior Management.
- Aflac Global Investments has over $111 billion of assets under management.
- Aflac is a Fortune 100 company with a significant overseas operations in Japan and a corporate culture that recognizes and rewards excellence in all of its employees.
- Opportunity to gain deep industry knowledge of investments compliance through focused interaction with existing experienced professional staff to generate real-world work product.
- An open, collaborative work environment amongst other interns in different programs, as well as employees and senior management.
- Training sessions including Introduction to Fixed Income, Life Cycle of Trading, Understanding Investments Technology Platform, The Role of Compliance in an Insurance Investment Firm, Credit/Market Risk, Derivatives, Macro Strategy, and Understanding the Buy-Side of Investments.
- Weekly financial/investment/economic discussions with company senior stakeholders to develop and inform investment theory to practical application.
- Information sessions with senior management, networking with other interns placed throughout other areas of Aflac, and virtual social activities.
Our summer interns participate in a series of activities that provide the opportunity to learn about all areas of the firm, as well as on-the job training in investment compliance and portfolio surveillance. The Intern will be assigned projects in support of current business needs that can include ad-hoc analysis. Intern will also learn best practices in research, data analytics and other responsibilities in support of investment compliance function during the full 10 week period.
Job functional responsibilities include:
- Manage daily surveillance of trades on behalf of Aflac Global Investments –while learning investment compliance and the trade operational workflows for an insurance asset manager.
- Learn how to coordinate the breach investigation process and management reporting.
- Assist with analysis of client Investment Management Agreements (IMAs) and seeking clarification of guidelines from the business when necessary.
- Contribute to the construction of procedures and controls in relation to trade guideline monitoring.
- Monitor developments with the NAIC, SEC, Japan FSA, State DOI’s and CFTC as they relate to the Investment function. Will develop working knowledge of US and Japan Securities and Derivatives Regulations as they pertain to Insurance Industry Investment activity.
- Communicate regularly with Traders, Portfolio Management, Operations, and Risk, as well as other functional areas of the firm.
- Work to limit regulatory and reputation risk of Aflac and help to reinforce Aflac Global Investment’s culture of compliance.
- Assist with transaction and forensic Compliance testing.
- Compile research on investment compliance and regulatory related issues within an Insurance company; with a particular interest in Environment, Social, and Governance (ESG).
- Written and verbal presentations to assorted stakeholders.
- Assist in the due diligence review process for new and existing external investment managers.
- Participate in company/department wide meetings throughout the summer.
The program offers various learning opportunities including presentations by senior management, business leaders, plus networking events with mentors, business sponsors, senior management and full time employees.
Before Applying, consider the following
We seek highly motivated student with degree focus in computer science, information systems, data / business analytics; finance, or similar degree programs and has an ability to demonstrate a willingness to learn, intellectual curiosity, and have a strong interest working in investments, finance, data or business analytics within an insurance asset management and/or our company.
Additional qualifications include:
- GPA of 3.0 or above preferred
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, and relationship management skills
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with MS Office, with an emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
- All candidates must have eligibility to work permanently in the U.S. and must be physically located in the continental U.S. for the duration of internship. Working time zone is Eastern Standard Time in New York City.
- Worker Designation: requires a hybrid work schedule with a minimum of 3 days in the office
The range on this positions is: $18.75/hr to $28.84/hr and is a non-exempt position. The position requires the individual to work 40 hours per week for 10 weeks (June 12th - August 11th, 2023) based on the companies hybrid work schedule noted above.
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.