Sr Corp Comm & PR Consultant
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $70,000 - $160,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. Depending on your location within the continental US, this role may be remote.
- If you live within 50 miles of the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be hybrid. This means you will be expected to work in the office for at least 60% of the work week. You will work from your home (within the continental US) for the remaining portion of the work week. Details of this schedule will be discussed with your leadership.
- If you live more than 50 miles from the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. If the role is remote, there may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- Must have superior business acumen; ability to scrutinize issues and provide sound advice based on excellent judgement.
- Experience in communications, including developing and/or implementing a wide-ranging communications strategy. Must provide examples of having developed and managed successful media placements involving high-level executives.
- Excellent PR-related written communication and editing skills, particularly conveying complex information in easily understood context for diverse audiences. Ability to write professional-quality articles and press releases for publication on social and traditional media.
- Mastery of English grammar and usage; proficient in AP Style.
- Ability to produce inspiring and engaging content.
- Experience with design software, such as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and/or similar, to develop high-level presentations and other relevant content.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders across cultures.
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined with the ability to work with autonomy, meet deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Demonstrable ability to multitask and edit a wide variety of communications deliverables.
- Ability to collaborate with advocacy and other colleagues to ensure consistent messaging.
- Ability to work with senior leadership to advance the goals and objectives of the company.
- Demonstrate sound judgment, exceptional writing skills and ability to engage with senior leaders.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications, or a related field
- Six to eight years of professional work related experience
- Strong organizational and demonstrable writing skills for materials including articles, guides and publications for a variety of media; fluent in AP Style
- Knowledge and understanding of social media, ideally with previous experience as a community manager and a direct crisis management.
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Less than or equal to 10%
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Proactively generates media attention related to reputation and/or product-enhancing initiatives, improving company scores for seven RepTrak® dimensions of corporate reputation as appropriate; holds self and others accountable for results. Edits material for accuracy, clarity, and consistency of content and format; ensures material contains correct spelling, grammar and punctuation; rewrites text, as needed, and works with writers and subject matter experts when content clarification is needed.
- Builds solid strategic approaches based on company’s objectives in a manner that promotes products, influences public opinion and drives consideration of Aflac’s offerings; develops and implements influencer campaigns and other digital-first public relations tactics.
- Exercises sound judgment with the ability and experience to analyze issues to enable adequate responses to the media, including inquiries from journalists at top tier electronic, print and online publications, in a way that protects, maintains and/or enhances company reputation; works with Corporate Communications leadership and crisis communications team to mitigate negative issue exposure and crisis scenarios quickly and effectively.
- Ability to work directly with C-suite and high-level executives, proactively advising and providing sound guidance.
- Writes press releases, media pitches and other information for media and executives; masters AP Style; determines value of interview opportunities and, where appropriate, schedules with executives, briefs and guides them through process to completion.
- Supports public relations efforts for Aflac’s innovative My Special Aflac Duck program to continue building on Aflac’s strong corporate citizen reputation, as well as on the awareness of the program to increase distribution of ducks to children across the country.
- Serves as business partner and acts as a liaison between Corporate Communications and Brand divisions; collaborates with internal partners, including B2B, Producer and Consumer channel managers, Product Marketing, Broker and Field Communications, Internal Communications, Digital Marketing, Social Media and other key areas in Marketing and Corporate Communications to ensure an integrated communications approach/strategy. Provides public relations counsel to Marketing division.
- Works with external agencies to develop strategy and execution for communications and events.
- Stays abreast of current trends and best practices in public relations and recommends new approaches as appropriate to the evolving marketing strategies; is willing and able to continuously learn and desirous of developing into a potential leader.
- Performs other duties as assigned
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $160,000
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.