Dir, Reinsurance & Stat Compl
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $115,000 - $235,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. Depending on your location within the continental US, this role may be remote.
- If you live within 50 miles of the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA, or Columbia, SC, this role will be hybrid. This means you will be expected to work in the office for at least 60% of the work week. You will work from your home (within the continental US) for the remaining portion of the work week. Details of this schedule will be discussed with your leadership.
- If you live more than 50 miles from the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA, or Columbia, SC, this role will be remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. If the role is remote, there may be occasions when you are requested to come to the office based on business needs. Any requests to come to the office will be communicated to you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting and financial reporting requirements, with technical expertise and competence with US GAAP and Statutory accounting including reinsurance
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrable team-building and talent development skills
- Strong process understanding and history of proven process evaluation and improvement
- Technically proficient in US GAAP and insurance statutory accounting
- Knowledge, understanding, and ability to interpret and plan the implementation of accounting guidance promulgated by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), FASB, SEC, NAIC and other organizations or committees issuing authoritative accounting guidance
- Excellent presentation, oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with major financial accounting applications such as SAP or other similar accounting applications
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance, or a related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- 10 years of professional job-related work experience, 5 years of management experience
- 5 years of insurance/reinsurance experience including both domestic and international insurance/reinsurance as well as internal reinsurance
- Insurance industry experience
- Experience and proficiency using financial systems user applications (SAP preferred)
- Reinsurance accounting and administration, and statutory experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Education & Experience Preferred
Travel (if applicable, delete if not)
- Less than or equal to 25%
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads and develops a team of Reinsurance financial professionals to report the internal and external reinsurance transactions for GAAP and Statutory purposes.
- Administers and presents summaries of the accounting models and implications related to proposed reinsurance transactions for Aflac Senior and Executive leadership to help evaluate business decision-making process.
- Reviews, understands and applies active and proposed reinsurance treaties.
- Approves reinsurance settlement payments based on contract terms within authority.
- Establishes and monitors compliance with standards and requirements for reinsurance activities on both an operational and accounting basis.
- Leads team to implement new reinsurance SAP module.
- Works closely with Operations and IT to improve current reinsurance processes and reporting.
- Leads statutory team and oversees the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual regulatory reports including all statutory and supplemental schedules.
- Coordinates and researches technical accounting issues for SAP compliance.
- Develops and oversees documentation of business processes and accounting policies related to reinsurance and statutory compliance to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Works effectively with business and accounting partners, if improvements or corrections are needed, to ensure that these are clearly documented and implemented in an efficient and effective manner.
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $115,000 - $235,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state-mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.